hillary

Penn Democrats have endorsed Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, mentioning her achievements as a progressive politician. 

Credit: Ilana Wurman , Ilana Wurman, Ilana Wurman

The Penn Democrats, one of the largest campus political groups, endorsed Hillary Clinton for president on Monday afternoon.

“She is clearly the most qualified candidate in this race on either side of the aisle,” the group announced in a statement on its website. “We need her strength, her courage, and her determination to continue fighting for progressive values and ensure equal opportunity for all.”

In 2008, Penn Dems endorsed Clinton’s primary rival, President Barack Obama — a move the group recognized in its endorsement.

“Hillary Clinton has certainly earned the title of a ‘progressive who gets things done.’ Barack Obama knew this, and despite a grueling primary battle in 2008, he nominated her to be his Secretary of State,” the endorsement said.

The group’s counterpart, the College Republicans, will not endorse candidates in this year’s primary, College Republicans President and Wharton and College junior Jennifer Knesbach said, because it is a part of the College Republican National Committee.

While Penn Dems’ endorsement mentioned Clinton’s record of progressive achievements — including an F rating from the National Rifle Association and increasing worldwide support for women’s rights in developing countries — it did not include any discussion of the scandals that have plagued Clinton’s campaign.

Since she announced her second presidential campaign on April 12, Clinton has been criticized for illegally using a private email server as Secretary of State and only sparsely answering queries from the media.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), who has fallen far behind Clinton in recent contests, was praised by Penn Dems for “inspiring many voters” but “this does not mean that he is the best candidate.”

Clinton, the victor of Penn’s Feb. 2 student caucus with nearly 60 percent of the vote, appears to command the support of much of Penn’s large Democratic community.