college-hall-sam-holland
Wellness at Penn will be hosting a viewing of the solar eclipse at College Green on April 8. Credit: Sam Holland

This afternoon, a total solar eclipse will grace North American skies for the first time in seven years, including partially over Penn — a phenomenon that astronomers say will not happen again in the contiguous United States for another two decades. 

The Daily Pennsylvanian compiled a guide eclipsing where, when, and how to best see it on campus.

What and when is the solar eclipse?

A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and Earth, completely blocking the face of the sun. The sky will darken as if it were dawn or dusk, and the sun’s corona — or outer atmosphere — will be visible to viewers for a brief period of time.

This occurs due to what many scientists call a cosmic coincidence. While the moon’s diameter is about 400 times smaller than the sun’s, the moon is also approximately 400 times closer to the Earth than the sun is. This causes the sun and the moon to appear to be the same size from Earth’s vantage point.

Philadelphia is not located directly in the path of totality, meaning spectators from the city will not experience the complete effects seen by those in western Pennsylvania — which is located in the path of totality. Philadelphia will still see approximately 90% of the sun be covered by the moon by about 3:20 p.m., the maximum point of the eclipse.

At that point, the sun will look like “a cookie with a bite taken out of it,” Deputy Director of the NASA Heliophysics Science Division Gina DiBraccio told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

The peak darkness caused by the eclipse will occur at around 3:23 p.m., with it ending by 4:25 p.m. 

Where and how can I see the eclipse?

Several Penn students and professors have adjusted their schedules to come together and see the eclipse, particularly through the shifting of class times. 

Wellness at Penn will be hosting a solar eclipse viewing party on College Green from 2:30 - 4:00 p.m., handing out stickers, doing giveaways, and distributing eclipse glasses — which are essential eye protection when viewing solar eclipses. 

Gregory College House is also holding a watch party for students interested in seeing the event.

The Franklin Institute will also be holding a free community-wide viewing party from 1:30 - 5:00 p.m. along the museum’s front steps. Observers can safely see the eclipse through the Institute’s solar filter tents or specially equipped telescopes.

When is the next time I can see a solar eclipse?

The last solar eclipse in the United States occurred on Aug. 21, 2017, when the city saw 75% of the sun obscured, and the next one in the contiguous United States will not occur until 2044. Even then, the 2044 eclipse will not cross paths with Philly — making tomorrow’s eclipse an extremely rare opportunity for Penn students to witness this celestial event.

The next time Philadelphia will experience a total solar eclipse will be in 2079, more than 601 years since it last happened in the Philadelphia region.

Penn students' plans to watch the eclipse

Several Penn student organizations and individuals plan to travel outside of Philadelphia to watch the eclipse.

Penn Astro and the Penn Outdoors Club took an overnight trip to Cherry Springs State Park, a Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Dark Sky Park that allows for clear viewing of major celestial objects due to low levels of light pollution.

College first year Emma Yao will be renting a car and driving to Rattlesnake Hill Sightseeing Deck in upstate New York with a group of friends in her ECON 0200 class.

Yao said that the group originally wanted to head to Syracuse, N.Y. to see the eclipse, but switched to the Genesee River Valley in upstate New York to avoid traffic. She added that they originally chose to go to Syracuse because it is one of the nearest cities in the path of totality.

“It was all very spontaneous, but we heard that being in the path of totality is a completely different experience than even being in a location with 98% coverage,” Yao said. “I think it will feel so surreal to experience in-person and good bonding time with my friends,” she added.

Wharton sophomore Olivia Turman took a Greyhound bus to Pittsburgh on Sunday, where she was picked up by a friend and driven to West Virginia University to stay overnight with her older brother. Turman and her brother will be traveling to Cuyahoga Valley National Park in Ohio, which is in the path of totality, to get the full solar eclipse experience. 

“Going to the point of totality is something that has been on my bucket list for a while now, so I’m very excited to be able to check it off,” said Turman. “This is definitely something that doesn’t happen every day, so I decided to seize the moment and make the most of it.”