john-legend-vox

John Legend, a 1999 Penn graduate, was appointed to the Vox Media board of directors.

Credit: Andrew Gardner

Vox Media has appointed 11-time Grammy winner and 1999 College graduate John Legend to their board of directors.

Legend will advise the company on strategic growth and venturing into new business opportunities and participate in regular board meetings, according to Vox Media.

"John Legend embodies our company values: he is creative, ambitious, entrepreneurial, and focused on the highest quality work," CEO and Chairman of Vox Media Jim Bankoff said.

Legend is one of only 15 people, and the first Black man, to win an Emmy Award, Grammy Award, Academy Award, and Tony Award, collectively known as an EGOT. 

At Penn, Legend performed with the a cappella group Counterparts. Since graduating, he delivered the commencement address at the graduation for the Class of 2014 and has led panels at Penn Law discussing inclusive community development and economic improvement in low-income areas. Most recently, Legend performed many of his most popular songs, including "All of You" and "Love Me Now," at the University's Stand Up and Vote event in October.

In addition to his appointment at Vox Media, Legend sits on the Board of Directors of Harlem Village Academies and Management Leadership for Tomorrow, and the Advisory Board for The Quattrone Center for the Fair Administration of Justice at Penn Law School.

"Vox Media is an innovative company creating content that shapes the conversation about so many of the most important things happening in the world," Legend told Vox Media. "I’m excited to learn more from the talented board and contribute whatever I can to influence the future of this growing company."