This summer, more than $650,000 of the money Penn has received from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, or the economic stimulus plan, was put toward funding 30 summer research experiences for high school teachers, as well as high school and college students.

The program is designed to speed the pace of scientific achievement, encourage and prepare the next generation of students to participate in health-related sciences and promote job creation and economic development, according to a University press release.

Penn studies have included research on gene therapy, ozone-exposure-induced changes to the immune system, the care of those suffering with postpartum depression, pharmacological strategies to improve patient breathing after cervical spine injury, sleep regulation, public education and more.

Thus far, Penn has received more than 141 awards and allocated funding totaling more than $50 million from the ARRA to support over 100 scientific research projects from programs across the University.

Penn faculty have submitted more than 1,175 research proposals totaling $857,655,998 in requested funding to institutions like the National Institutes of Health and National Science Foundation, with the bulk of research awards yet to be announced.

"The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act has provided Penn's next generation of scientific researchers with immediate, hands-on laboratory experiences that encourage their passion and empower them to be productive members of the University's research community, even at the undergraduate level," Steven Fluharty, vice provost for research, said in a press release.