[Dave Walker/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Green Party gubernatorial candidate Michael Morrill (left), Democratic state Rep. Daylin Leach, Pennsylvania Nader Campaign Coordinator Dan Martino and Republican Party representative Marcus Mitchell discuss the pros

Given the media attention to the presidential race between George W. Bush and John Kerry, it is easy to forget there are more political parties than just the Democrats and Republicans running for office.

"It seems ridiculous that you only have two choices for parties when you can have six choices for colors of GameBoys," said Dan Martino, Pennsylvania state campaign coordinator for Ralph Nader.

The "Clear Talk" panel, held at the International House on Saturday, aimed at encouraging multiparty discourse on political issues.

Jonathan Kahn, a social entrepreneur, organized the political panel, which included representatives from the Republican, Democratic and Green parties, along with the Nader campaign. In light of the impending election in this battleground state, voting choices for the presidential contest were hotly discussed.

Most agreed that voting options were important by way of ballot representation. Yet, dispute ensued about whether a vote for president should be given to candidates from the two leading parties -- Democrat Kerry or Republican Bush -- who have a chance to win, or to a preferred candidate from a third party.

Democratic panelist Daylin Leach of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives affirmed that ballot options are important, but given the tight presidential race between only two parties, he argued that liberals should put aside individual political affiliations and vote for one of the two main contenders.

"Nader should be on the ballot. You just shouldn't vote for him," Leach said.

He suggested that Green Party members and Independents vote for Kerry, whom he argued was more compatible with their values than Bush.

Independents in the audience, angered by having their candidates, especially Independent candidate Ralph Nader, removed from the Pennsylvania presidential ballot, were not satisfied with a vote for either Bush or Kerry.

Audience member David Hayes, who identifies himself as an Independent, stressed the importance of having the ability to exercise voting choices in democracy.

"We have to have choices," he said, "to make up our own minds S [and] not be dependent on corporate media."

Republican panelist Marcus Mitchell stated that candidates, namely Democratic ones, should "earn votes, not get votes."

This November, votes given to Kerry over other candidates, such as Green Party nominee David Cobb, could be costly to the Republican Party in Pennsylvania.

Chris Randolph, who is running as an Independent to represent the First District of Pennsylvania in Congress, was also present in the audience. He voiced his own frustrations in getting his name printed on the ballot and receiving media attention.

Tom Ferrick Jr. of The Philadelphia Inquirer moderated the discussion, which was attended by approximately 50 people.