In light of the recent shooting between a suspect and members of the University of Pennsylvania Police Department at 40th and Baltimore, area residents' concern about safety on and around Penn's campus has surged.

During the year, various forms of security measures -- from Spectaguards to the Penn Shuttle transportation service -- can be found frequenting University City at all hours of the night. But with less students and faculty remaining in the area throughout the summer, the amount of security declines, as well.

Over the last two months, several armed robberies were reported in addition to the one at 30th and Market Streets that ended in gunfire. With less people living in the area, the streets do appear more abandoned, especially after dark -- thus creating prime conditions for criminals to victimize residents.

In conjunction with the decline of residents, security is not as prevalent during the summer No Spectaguards exist in areas where they previously patrolled, and Penn Shuttles do not run as frequently, sometimes resulting in a longer wait for a ride. Those who become impatient may decide to walk alone at night -- an act which can put them at an unnecessary risk.

In order to maintain a high level of safety while staying on or near Penn's campus for the summer, both students, residents, and the University must do their part. Police should be patrolling areas that require more attention and responding to calls in a timely and efficient manner. Penn needs to evaluate the security services offered over the summer, and tailor these services to the number of students they expect to be around during summer months. And students themselves must realize that they need to take extra precautions with a significantly lower number of people in the area.

Students who are here for such a short period of time as the summer may not realize how dramatically crime near campus has dropped over the last few years, or understand the wavering tendencies of summer crime rates. However they should understand that, just as the jurisdiction of the Penn police does not extend beyond 40th Street, neither should their expectations about safety.