What do you think of when you hear the word "summer?" Most likely beaches, July 4th, baseball, internships and free-spiritedness. Would you put "UA" in that category? Surprisingly, the summer is a very active time for your elected representatives, as we have begun to articulate our goals and work on projects for next year. I expect big things from this year's Undergraduate Assembly, in which I will serve as chairperson. The successes we enjoyed last year -- implementing policies and earning campus wide respect -- raised the bar of expectations. On paper, things look solid. We have the strongest executive board in years and our new application process yielded a capable and experienced pool of committee chairs. And although a vast majority of incumbents won re-election, several bright and energetic newcomers emerged victorious as well. The mix of rookies and veterans bodes extremely well for the body. But though the lineup looks good on paper, we cannot rest on last year's laurels. Putting out a landlord guide and pushing for the Rosengarten renovations were nice accomplishments, but we can do so much more. We need to look ahead to the future, instead of patting ourselves on the back for past achievements. Yet there are still issues that demand attention, and this year's UA will play a big role influencing University policy. For example, the Facilities Committee is currently exploring the possibility of installing computer terminals in the Penn Bookstore cafZ. The West Philadelphia Committee will again conduct a landlord survey to help improve off-campus living conditions for students. This summer, the Greek Life Committee is fighting to ensure the financial burden of GreekNet upon houses is reasonable. Finally, the Student Life Committee will work with the administration and focus on specific issues related to dining, minority permanence, and financial aid. We should also note that a new alcohol policy will be in place by fall, and for better or for worse, this promises to change the campus social scene. Students must realize that personal responsibility is key. And we must accept the reality that the old, more loosely enforced rules no longer exist. In return, the administration must resist the urge to make enforcement and punitive measures the main component of the policy. They must instead back up their promises to provide expanded social and retail options. Now is the opportune time to bring a video store to campus with later hours; open up Gimbel Gymnasium until 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights; and work with SEPTA to offer an affordable student discount. Beyond attacking specific issues, what will you see from this year's UA? You will see a UA that interacts frequently with other student groups. A UA that is visionary, yet pragmatic. You will see a UA that intelligently chooses its battles. A UA that expands its sensibility to include national and international affairs -- as evidenced by our recent endorsement of the Progressive Activist Network sweatshop resolution. And a UA that uses the Philadelphia mayoral race and 2000 presidential election to spark political discourse on campus. Our agenda is ambitious and our nature is idealistic. But that is the only way in which we can inspire confidence and respect from both the student body and the administration. With hard work, unity of purpose and flexibility, the Undergraduate Assembly can meet these goals. So whether you are feverishly meeting deadlines at work or sunbathing on the Jersey shore, take a moment to reflect on your expectations of the UA for this year. Think about how we can respond to your needs. And ponder how we can replace your cynicism about student government with the unbridled optimism that we as a body possess.