The Biddison-Hier teamThe Biddison-Hier teammet with studentsThe Biddison-Hier teammet with studentsand faculty for input. Gathering suggestions and opinions for their ongoing evaluation of University facilities, management consultants Gail Biddison and Tom Hier met with student and faculty groups on campus yesterday. Through brainstorming meetings with students, faculty and administrators -- in addition to market research -- the partners hope to devise a plan for improving campus buildings. "Our recommendations will deal both with physical problems of facilities on campus and the modernization of those facilities, so they will be attractive for the next 20 years," Hier said. Administrators will use some of the research on dorms in planning the future shape of the residential system, a goal of the 21st Century Project on Undergraduate Life. Other research will go into a planned overhaul of all campus facilities. Biddison said she and Hier probably won't officially release recommendations until April. "We are still in the information-gathering process," she added. But some findings may be released through the office of the Vice Provost for University Life beginning in January. In the past few months, Biddison and Hier have met with several focus groups and distributed a survey to some students via e-mail. "We've gotten a lot of feedback about the notion of a community," Hier said. "And we have begun to think through what that means as far as space organization." Freshmen already seem to have well-defined residential communities, he noted. The University could consider trying to establish a housing option for upperclassmen that falls somewhere between the tight-knit groups freshmen form and the total independence of off-campus living, he said. Biddison and Hier discussed issues including the placement of common spaces, dining halls and athletic facilities throughout campus with students from the Residential Advisory Board last night. Students suggested more service centers like the one in Hill College House, which provides amenities such as futons for visitors, vacuum cleaners, media equipment and stamps. Van Pelt College House residents recommended the 24-hour advanced technology support they receive in their residence's computer labs. "We have a real commitment to student and faculty input in this process," Associate VPUL Larry Moneta said. Moneta added that a separate facilities audit examining "every square inch of campus" will be completed by the end of the semester and turned over to Biddison and Hier to incorporate in their evaluation. "This is a detail-oriented process," he said. "It's something you only want to do every 50 years."