Agents could arrest outside bars A bill in the state legislature would increase the powers of Liquor Control Enforcement officers to enforce restrictions on alcohol consumption if it passes an upcoming vote in the state Senate. The bill, sponsored by local Rep. James Roebuck and 19 other representatives, would allow officers to arrest underage drinkers outside of drinking establishments and for behavior such as disorderly conduct. Currently, LCE officers can make arrests only for violations of the liquor code that occur inside those establishments. The bill, House Bill 553, recently passed the state House of Representatives and now faces a vote in the state Senate, which reconvenes today. While the bill would directly affect the University and other college campuses, Roebuck said this is not the bill's primary intent. "I think what it does provide for is strengthening of enforcement of liquor laws," Roebuck said. "It's not really specifically designed [to affect a college campus,] but there is that possibility." Roebuck said the bill's more immediate aim is to affect the city's current problem of "stop and go's," smaller establishments where many say it is relatively easy for minors to purchase liquor. Liquor Control Enforcement District Office Commander Sgt. John Lyle said the bill would "add police powers to LCE officers who only had the power to enforce laws relative to the liquor code." "This bill provides [officers] with a number of different tools to protect themselves," Lyle said. According to Lyle, LCE officers currently do not have the authority to make arrests for anything outside the liquor code. The new legislation, however, would give them immediate powers of arrest. "They never had those powers before," Lyle said. "If you came out of a bar, and they saw someone beating up on you, they would have had to contact the police. Now?they could do it on their own." Lyle said while such legislation has been proposed in the past, passage of this bill would be "a major change." "Our powers would extend outside the walls of that licensed establishment," he said. "This would give us powers to arrest for a lot of other violations that also occur in fraternities and sororities as well." Interfraternity Council president-elect Hayden Horowitz said he believes fraternities will conduct themselves so as to not be affected by this law. "It's my hope that fraternities are throwing smarter parties," said Horowitz, a College junior. "They're being better supervised, better on the whole, and that reduces our risk and liability."