School of Arts and Sciences faculty approved a new Latin American Studies minor this week after a unusually strong collective effort between students, faculty and administrators. In addition, the faculty also approved a minor in cognitive science, reflecting a growing demand for computer-related studies. Administrators and students hope the new Latin American Studies minor could attract more Latino students to the University and open up the opportunity of establishing a major. The approval took place at a normally-scheduled SAS faculty meeting Tuesday. Assistant Romance Language Professor Jorge Salessi, who helped write the proposal for the minor, said the decision was "fantastic." He added that several different groups worked in harmony to establish the minor. "We succeded because of the help of administrators, faculty and students," Salessi said. "Without that combination, you don't get things done." And Pam Urueta, president of Asociacion Cultural de Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan, said with the establishment of the minor as well as the new study abroad program in Oaxaca in Mexico, the administration is showing a strong concern for Latino students. "The establishment of the minor coupled with the approval of the Oaxaca program is a strong demonstration by the administration that they are aware of Latinos on the campus," Urueta said. "This is a good beginning." Urueta added that students were the main force behind starting the fight for the minor. "I think the speed in which the minor was established was greatly helped by student dedication to the major," Urueta said. Salessi also said they University now needs a Latin American Studies major, but that cannot be accomplished until the University hires more Latino faculty. Once more faculty are hired, new classes relating to a major can be created. "To have a major we need more faculty, and we don't dare let go of the faculty we already have," Salessi said. Salessi believes with the new minor and a possible major in the future more Latino students will be drawn to the University. "We also need more faculty because the students need to have role models in front of the class who they can relate to," he said. "The minor will absolutely draw students because we are working on the program. All these first things are little tiny sprouts emerging, and we have to water them. Urueta agreed that the future of Latino students and all students at the University will be improved by the new minor. The requirements for the minor will include that only two courses from the minor will be counted toward a major in another discipline, six courses with Latin American contents have to be taken and three of those courses must be upper-level courses, and only advanced language courses inclucing composition and literature courses will count among the six courses. Salessi also said students will probably be able to declare the minor next semester. (CUT LINE) Please see MINOR, page 10 MINOR, from page 1