04-25-24-encampment-amy-offner-anna-vazhaeparambil
A representative from AAUP-Penn spoke to protesters during the first day of the encampment on College Green on April 25. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Follow more live updates from day two of the 'Gaza Solidarity Encampment' here.

Penn's chapter of the American Association of University Professors condemned Interim Penn President Larry Jameson's demands that the Gaza Solidarity Encampment disband in a letter to Penn administrators this morning.

In the letter — which was sent to Jameson, Provost John Jackson Jr., and Senior Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli — the AAUP-Penn Executive Committee wrote that they were "deeply disturbed" by Jameson's April 26 email to the Penn community. They described Jameson's claims as based on "unsubstantiated allegations" that have been disputed by faculty and students who have attended the encampment.

"Your statement mischaracterizes the overall nature of an antiwar protest that necessarily involves strong emotions on both sides but has not, to our knowledge, involved any actual violence or threats of violence to individuals on our campus," the letter reads. "To the contrary, those involved in the demonstration have worked to maintain a nonviolent space of discussion, debate, and even disagreement, in the spirit of an educational environment."

A University spokesperson declined to comment on the letter.

In the letter, AAUP-Penn wrote that they received reports of "potential harassment and intimidating conduct" directed at the peaceful protesters. They expressed concern that complaints of harassment are being evaluated in a "discriminatory manner."

The AAUP-Penn Executive Committee further expressed concern at Jameson's claim that the encampment violates "unnamed facilities policies," asserting that the encampment does not require a permit under Penn's Open Expression Guidelines.

"You may be implying that the encampment violates some other facilities policy—which one, we cannot know and cannot evaluate while your implicit threat to clear the encampment within 24 hours looms," the letter read. "What we do know is that during this academic year, Penn’s central administration, like university administrations nationwide, has turned to silencing speech critical of the war in Gaza through discriminatory enforcement of mundane and petty rules."

The letter calls on the Penn administration to end its "pattern of discriminatory rule enforcement," stating that the targeting of speech critical of the war in Gaza is a violation of Penn’s Guidelines on Open Expression. They wrote that AAUP-Penn is "closely monitoring [the administration's] actions," calling on the University to maintain its commitment to open expression and maintain Penn's "long and proud" tradition of peaceful protest.

"Do not escalate the situation. Do not violate the rights of students and faculty. Remember that the actions you choose to take today will be your legacy," the letter read.