01-28-24-w-squash-vs-harvard-cynthia-dong

Penn women's squash played Harvard at home on Jan. 28.

Credit: Cynthia Dong

On Sunday, No. 2 Penn women’s squash fell to No. 3 Harvard in a highly anticipated matchup. The Crimson overwhelmed the Red and Blue from start to finish, winning by a final score of 9-0.

The Quakers (10-1, 3-1 Ivy) entered the day undefeated but fell behind early and could not overcome the firepower of the Crimson (6-1, 4-0 Ivy). Notably, the Red and Blue were missing three starters due to injury, including first team All-Ivy and former Ivy League Rookie of the Year Malak Taha. Their absences were certainly felt in the matches.

“Today we were up against a team that was too talented and too tough. A team that also seemed to me to be quite healthy when we are not healthy at the moment,” said coach Jack Wyant. “The message I sent to the team was that I was proud of their efforts this year and we need to get healthy, and we need to do it fast.”

In the first few matches of the day, Harvard swept in straight sets. Freshman Sohalia Ismail, playing out of the first position, lost a tough battle against Harvard’s Marina Stefanoni 11-3, 11-8, and 11-6, respectively. Similar storylines ensued in the following matches, with junior Grace Lavin, and senior Avni Anand picking up the only sets won by the Quakers. After starting off the day in resounding fashion, the Crimson never looked back despite a valiant effort by the Quakers.

In another match, a tightly locked battle between fellow Quaker Vidovic and Harvard’s Saran Nghiem playing out of the second position ensued. Vidovic won the first set 12-10, looking to seize control of the match. However, Nghiem fought back and won the next three sets 11-6, 11-5, and 11-6, respectively. Throughout the day, it was apparent that the Red and Blue could not match the speed of the Crimson.

“Typically, the higher the level in squash, the faster the pace. It’s how quickly the players get on the ball and play their shots, recover off of the ball, and there is a fitness element to that,” Wyant said. “I do think with more experience against the top teams like Harvard, we will improve in that area. But the pace of play is something that we would like to increase in the coming weeks.”

Although it was a difficult day on the court, the day will be remembered for the five seniors that were honored on senior day: Anand and Penelope Oh, Abbie Rorke, and Yoshna Singh, and Elisabeth Weise. Several seniors reflected on their journey with the team and how they are still holding their head high despite the loss.

“I think it was about that support and interaction with all of us [rather than] a win or a loss,” Oh said. “Even though we didn’t get the result that we wanted today, everyone realizes all the work that we put in, all the new talent we have, [as well as] the awesome team culture that we have to hopefully get some results in our favor going forward.”

It was certainly a bittersweet, but nonetheless memorable day for this senior class, whom endured the start of the COVID-19 pandemic and the many obstacles that came along with it.

“It was definitely an emotional day for me,” Anand said. “It kind of just sunk in that it was my last time playing at the Penn courts ever. I always loved playing in front of the big crowd that we get here.”

Further, Wyant recognizes this group of seniors is special and have largely contributed to the team trending in the right direction as a result of their leadership. Enduring the difficulties and uncertainties surrounding squash during the pandemic is a testament to their commitment to the program.

“We have four young women who started at Penn with virtual classes, social distancing, and no squash. I remember the only interaction I had with them was coffee outside the high rises,” Wyant said. “To be where we are now after that beginning, and two pretty tumultuous seasons [after] COVID[-19], has been really remarkable.”

With the team currently in the midst of a historic season, the team looks to right the ship back into the win column next week when they face No. 1 Trinity (8-0) and No. 7 Yale (5-2, 3-1).