3-11-23-mbb-vs-princeton-jordan-dingle-anna-vazhaeparambil-bw

Junior guard Jordan Dingle lays up the ball against Princeton during the Ivy League Tournament semifinal game on March 11.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

On Friday morning, Penn men’s basketball junior guard Jordan Dingle announced via social media that he will be entering the transfer portal — likely marking the end of his time in the Red and Blue.

“I want to thank Coach Donahue and the Penn Men’s Basketball staff, all of my teammates at Penn, and all of the alumni and fans for an amazing experience over the past few seasons…” Dingle wrote. “With that said, I am formally announcing that I will be entering the transfer portal.”

The announcement comes several weeks after Dingle’s decision to test the waters of professional basketball. On April 5, CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein announced that Dingle would declare for the NBA Draft while maintaining his college eligibility, leaving the door open for a return to the NCAA — at Penn or elsewhere.

Entering the portal indicates that Dingle will likely pull his name from this year’s draft and attempt to maximize his stock for the seasons to come. While a return to the Quakers is not completely out of the question, as Dingle could eventually decide to withdraw from the portal depending on the results of his recruitment, there is little left for him to accomplish at Penn.

Dingle’s 2022-23 season was one nearly unmatched in all of program history. The Valley Stream, N.Y. native averaged 23.4 points per game, good for second in the nation, and took home both the Ivy League and Big 5 Player of the Year awards. In three years at Penn, he was named to the All-Ivy first team twice and currently trails the all-time program scoring record by just 296 points.

In a post announcing the transfer, Rothstein wrote that Dingle “immediately becomes one of the most coveted transfers on the market," meaning there will be no shortage of interest as he searches for a new home. If Dingle does leave Penn, his departure will complicate many of Penn’s aspirations for next season — forcing them to replace not only the team's most impactful player, but one of the most impactful in Quaker history.