3-11-23-mbb-vs-princeton-lucas-monroe-anna-vazhaeparambil-bw
Senior guard Lucas Monroe lays up the ball while fending off a Princeton defender during the Semifinal game at Princeton on March 11. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

After announcing his transfer to Drexel University, Penn men’s basketball senior captain Lucas Monroe — a leader on the court and in the community — will surely be missed, even if he is just moving right across Market Street.

Monroe, who played in all thirty of Penn’s games this year, announced his transfer for the 2023-24 season on Monday. The 6-foot-6 guard is following in the footsteps of his father who played for Drexel and East Carolina. Originally from Abington, Pa., the move will also keep him close to home for his last year of college eligibility. 

Monroe announced the move via Instagram, captioning his post, “Just crossing the road for my 5th year.” Monroe’s fifth year of eligibility is a result of the Ivy League's decision to cancel winter sports during his sophomore season due to COVID-19. Although he was given an extra year to play college basketball, the Ivy League prohibits graduate students from participating in athletics, and thus Monroe must transfer to continue playing.

During his three years at Penn, he played in a total of 85 games — starting in 38 of them. He averaged 4.4 points per game and 4.6 rebounds throughout his career. He was named to the academic All-Ivy team this season and awarded the Bus McDonald Award, which is given to the most inspirational player in the program. He was also recognized as the Quaker of the Year at the Quaker Choice Awards this year.

Off the court, Monroe is known for his activism in the community. He has been a strong supporter of the Black Lives Matter movement and was a leader in the team's decision last season to sit during the national anthem in response to police brutality and incidents of racial injustice. He was also a member of the first class of undergraduate fellows in the Office of Social Equity and Community at Penn.

Monroe has previously stated that he hopes to play professionally after he completes his collegiate career.