08-18-20-penn-police-station-sukhmani-kaur
The Penn Police Station on Aug. 18, 2020. Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

A Penn Police officer has been discharged from the hospital following a hit-and-run on Saturday night.

The incident happened at around 10:30 p.m. at 40th and Sansom Streets. The officer was taken to Penn Presbyterian Hospital after being intentionally struck by a car while on duty. He was discharged on Sunday in good condition, Vice President for Public Safety Kathleen Shields Anderson told The Daily Pennsylvanian.

The officer approached two people in a parked vehicle when the driver, reportedly in a black Ford Mustang, immediately left the scene, according to 6ABC. WHYY reported that while the driver was fleeing the scene, the driver purposefully hit the officer and drove off afterward. Police are still searching for the driver.

The officer was hit in the leg and taken to Penn Presbyterian Hospital to be treated.

"The officer has been discharged and has no major injuries," Anderson told the DP.

This incident — which did not lead to a UPennAlert — happened hours before a UPennAlert was issued at 3:57 a.m. on Sunday about police activity at 40th Street and Baltimore Avenue.

"Philadelphia and Penn Police responding to a report of a disturbance in the area of 40th and Baltimore, upon arrival they found evidence of a car accident and evidence of gunshots being fired. Police will remain on location. No injuries were reported," the Department of Public Safety website said. DPS sent out a follow-up message deeming the area all clear at around 4:20 a.m.

The two incidents are unrelated, according to Anderson.

Anderson said that DPS appreciated the various offers of support from the Penn community following the incident.

"We have received many messages of support from many areas of the Penn and Philadelphia community," Anderson said. "We are very grateful."