08-23-22-liz-magill-move-in-day-jesse-zhang
President Liz Magill is one of the three University of Pennsylvania affiliates honored as Pennsylvania's most influential female leaders. Credit: Jesse Zhang

Three Penn-affiliated women, including President Liz Magill, ranked in the top 15 of Pennsylvania's most influential female leaders in The Pennsylvania Power of Diversity: Women 100 by City & State Pennsylvania

The honorees include Magill, Wharton School Dean Erika James, and 1984 Penn Carey Law graduate and representative for Pennsylvania's 5th Congressional District, Mary Gay Scanlon.

Magill — who was ranked 10th on the list and was appointed to the presidency in March — was honored as the first new Penn president since Amy Gutmann was inaugurated in 2004.

City & State Pennsylvania reported that Magill diversified faculty hiring and improved research as executive vice president and provost at the University of Virginia, and established the Global Law Program as the dean of Stanford Law School prior. 

James — who was ranked 14th on the list — was recognized as the first woman and first person of color to be appointed dean of Wharton since the founding of the school in 1881.

According to City & State Pennsylvania, James is a proponent of gender and racial inclusivity. Under her tenure, Wharton MBA program had an incoming class with 52% female enrollment. James also began the Wharton Executive Education Initiative to inspire and motivate women leaders in business.

James was also recognized by Black Enterprise in the top 10 Women of Power in Education and by Ebony magazine as one of the Power 100 in 2014. 

Scanlon — who was ranked 13th on the list — was elected as a Democrat in 2018 in a special election. According to City & State Pennsylvania, she worked to receive funding for projects at Philadelphia’s shipyard and Boeing’s Ridley Park facility to create local jobs.

Scanlon's congressional priorities include voting rights, economic growth, education, and gun safety. 

Scanlon serves as vice chair of the House Administration Committee and was an attorney at the Education Law Center of Philadelphia.

Other honorees on the list include female business executives, nonprofit leaders, academics, and public servants.