09-14-2022-students-around-campus-ana-glassman
Students on Locust Walk on Sept. 14, 2022. Credit: Ana Glassman

Are you still looking for classes to fill your schedule next semester? Look no further — The Daily Pennsylvanian made a list of fun classes with low difficulty ratings that are scheduled for next spring. 

GSWS 3400: Money, Power, Respect: Funding Social Change

Gender and Women Studies professor Roz Lee is teaching Money, Power, Respect: Funding Social Change on Mondays from 5:15 to 8:14 p.m. this upcoming semester. The class — which was rated a 1.1 in difficulty on Penn Course Review — aims to explore intersectionality and how it is used to “support social justice organizations and leaders, and fund social change.”

Lee currently serves as the vice president of strategy and programs at the Ms. Foundation for Women and will be joined in class by “leaders and philanthropy colleagues” in some social contemporary social justice movements in the U.S. and worldwide such as Black Lives Matter, #MeToo, transgender equality, and disability justice. 

COMM 2920: WARNING! Graphic Content - Political Cartoons, Comix, and the Uncensored Artistic Mind 

COMM 2920: WARNING! Graphic Content - Political Cartoons, Comix, and the Uncensored Artistic Mind is returning this spring, and will be taught again by Dwayne Booth on Thursdays from 5:15 to 8:14 p.m.

Booth has taught the popular class, rated 1.6 in difficulty on Penn Course Review, every spring since 2015. It explores the past, present, and future of political cartooning, comics, graphic journalism, and protest art. 

Works shown in the class will be selected on the basis of their “unique ability to demonstrate the inflammatory effect of weaponized visual jokes, uncensored commentary, and critical thinking” on society. 

EALC 0954: Sushi & Ramen: Making Japanese Food Global

Are you a self-described foodie? If you said yes, consider taking Linda Chance’s Sushi & Ramen: Making Japanese Food Global. The class, which was rated a 1.9 in difficulty on Penn Course Review, will meet on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:30 to 4:59 p.m. this spring. 

Materials used in the class will include essays, films, novellas, menus, and cookbooks, and the course will survey the Philadelphia Japanese food scene. Students will also learn how to make their own sushi. 

RELS 0080: Religion and Sports 

Megan Robb is teaching Religion and Sports from 10:15 to 11:44 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays this spring. The class explores American football, cricket, soccer, lacrosse, rowing, basketball, and track and field. 

Rated a 1.8 in difficulty on Penn Course Review, the class will think about sports as a “ritual that brings people together, divides them, and gives athletes the power to remake themselves through the way they use and talk about their bodies.”

OIDD 2550: Artificial Intelligence, Data and Society 

For the third spring semester in a row, Prasanna Tambe is teaching Artificial Intelligence, Data and Society. Rated a 1.8 in difficulty, the class will meet from 12:00 to 1:29 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays. 

The 0.5 CU class will provide a deeper understanding of modern AI technologies with “an emphasis on being able to critically assess where they can provide societal value, and where they may create new challenges.” The course will be made up of written assessments, labs, exams, and a presentation.