untitled-design

College sophomore Tyler McCormick won the election for the last remaining College representative seat after running unopposed. (Photo from Tyler McCormick) 

An Undergraduate Assembly special election filled the last remaining College representative seat — but only 24 people voted. 

The seat opened after College sophomore Joan Dartey resigned from the UA midway through the session. College sophomore Tyler McCormick won the election after running unopposed and receiving 100% of the vote.

The election, which took place from Feb. 15 to Feb. 17, saw a low turnout similar to two special elections last semester, in which two winning representatives received just 22 and 12 votes, respectively. Of the College’s approximately 6,400 students, only first years were ineligible to vote in all three special elections.

NEC Vice Chair for Elections and College junior Zarina Iman said the NEC expected a low turnout after last semester’s special elections. Like this race, both students last semester ran unopposed in separate special elections. She added that the NEC did not spend a lot of time or resources on this election because they are preparing to hold the general election, which typically occurs in early April to elect Undergraduate Assembly and College Board representatives for the 2021-2022 academic year.

“[Low turnout] has kind of been a theme, especially as more special elections pass,” Iman said. “Overall, we’re looking for better turnout for the general spring election.”

McCormick said he decided to run after College senior and UA Equity and Inclusion Director Kristen Ukeomah told him about the opening. He added that he wanted to run to increase the visibility of underrepresented groups in Penn Student Government. 

“Penn does a pretty good job of it, but I would like to see more minority students and especially [first-generation, low-income] students in student government,” McCormick said.

McCormick said he was disappointed he did not get to participate in in-person elements of campaigning, including meeting new people, but said he still campaigned virtually by sending his posters in GroupMes.

His main priority will be making students, particularly FGLI students, aware of the resources and support they are entitled to through Student Registration and Financial Services. McCormick added that he hopes to launch a "know your rights" campaign around financial aid.

“I definitely just want to make Penn a better place in general, I just wanted to make sure that FGLI students and minority students also had a voice in student government."