covid-19-coronavirus-couple-dating-rittenhouse-square-park
Philadelphia earned a 27.1% dating scene satisfaction score in a report from Apartment List.. Credit: Max Mester

Philadelphia ranked No. 13 for best cities for dating during the COVID-19 pandemic in a recent report from Apartment List.

With a 27.1% dating scene satisfaction rate and a 59.3% outdoor recreation satisfaction rate, Philadelphia ranked in the upper third of the 40-city list. In addition to dating and outdoor recreation satisfaction, the study also considered the number of single people in the area.

The list was topped by Austin, Texas and Boston, both of which had high outdoor recreation satisfaction and dating scene satisfaction rates. Philadelphia was the only Pennsylvania city to make the list.

Philadelphia ranked No. 9 for the percentage of single residents at 54.7% in a tie with Detroit. The city ranked No. 12 in dating scene satisfaction and No. 30 in outdoor recreation satisfaction, its lowest-ranked category.

The outdoor recreation satisfaction variable was added this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which prevents people from gathering safely in restaurants or cafes.

New "Safer at Home" policies that went into effect in Philadelphia on Friday prohibit indoor gatherings with people from different households, in an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19. Outdoor gatherings may take place at 10% capacity of the space, but individuals may not eat or drink.

Individuals are required to wear masks at any outdoor gathering with people from different households and outdoor dining should only take place between members of the same household, according to the guidelines.