michael-li-fencing
Credit: Tamara Wurman

This weekend is another busy one for Penn's winter sport teams. Here’s what to look forward to as fencing, wrestling, and swimming and diving enter the final portions of their seasons.

Men's and women's fencing

Both men’s and women’s fencing will make the trip to Waltham, Mass. to Brandeis for the Eric Sollee Invitational on Feb. 1. They will face off with multiple opponents including MIT, Boston College, Hunter, NJIT, NYU, and the host school.

On the women’s side (17-7, 3-1 Ivy), the underclassmen have had continued success this season. Freshman Madeline Adams-Kim and Chloe Daniel have led the way for the Red and Blue this season, posting a collective record of 51-24. They will look to continue to build upon a three-match win streak, after clocking victories against Northwestern, St. John's, and Brandeis.

The men (16-7, 0-3) will look to rebuild confidence after a 17-10 loss to No. 7 St. John’s at home. Junior foil Michael Li is poised to lead the way after coming away with huge victories at the Philadelphia Invitational. 

This will be the first time in recent history for both teams to compete at Brandeis, and they will look to make a statement before Ivy Championships the following weekend. 

Wrestling

Credit: Izzy Crawford-Eng

The Quakers (3-4, 2-1 Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association) will hope to continue their recent success as they begin with an Ivy League doubleheader against Brown and Harvard on Saturday.

With a number of upperclassmen dealing with injuries, expect to see some new faces suiting up for the Red and Blue on the mat. At 144 pounds, No. 19 sophomore Doug Zapf is set to continue his success after coming away with two wins last time out. 

In the heavier weight classes, sophomore Ben Goldin has starred at this season at 285 pounds, compiling a 9-7 record this season.

This weekend will be crucial for the Quakers, who are looking to maintain their winning record in the EIWA

Swimming and Diving 

In the water, the Red and Blue will look to defend their home pool one last time this season with a matchup against West Chester on Saturday. Penn men's swimming is just 4-4 this season, while the women's team is just 2-6. 

Credit: Son Nguyen

This will be the last competition before the Ivy Championships, and the Quakers will look to seal another win after a loss to Harvard on Jan.18. 

On the men’s side, expect to see junior Sean Lee – who became the first Penn swimmer to win the 400-yard free in the Ivy League championship – to continue his winning ways for the Quakers. Against the Crimson, Lee came away with a 1:47.32 finish in the 200 fly.

On the women’s side, sophomore Catherine Buroker has been unstoppable this season, and she is poised to fare well in the 1,000 free. Against Harvard, she put up a 10:06.43 finish to capture first place, with fellow teammate sophomore Grace Giddings finishing just seconds behind at 10:09.10. If the Quakers want to right the ship, now is the time.