buroker-swimming-harvard

Sophomore Catherine Buroker took home first place in the 1000 free for Penn women's swimming in Saturday's dual meet against Harvard.

Credit: Son Nguyen

Penn men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both lost close matchups against Harvard in a dual meet on Saturday.

The men’s team fell by a score of 169-128, while the Red and Blue women lost, 187-113. Even in the losses, the teams had respectable performances against the reigning Ivy League champions. They won a combined nine events in the afternoon and finished with 40 top-three finishes out of the 32 total events. 

In the close loss, several male Quakers stood out. Sophomore Jacob Furlong finished first in the 200-yard freestyle, out-touching a Harvard swimmer by a mere .08 seconds with a time of 1:39.60.

Later on, junior Sean Lee continued his strong season by winning the 200 butterfly in his team’s second victory of the day.

His teammate and fellow junior Nathaniel Cunnan followed up Lee's performance by winning the 50 free with an impressive time of 20.50 seconds.

For the women, sophomore Catherine Buroker continued to shine, as her 10:06.43 time in the 1000 free was good enough for a first-place finish. Not far behind, her teammate and fellow sophomore Grace Giddings finished in second with a time of 10:09.10.

This success is nothing unusual for Buroker, as she was a qualifier for the 2019 NCAA Championships and holds two Ivy League titles.

The Quakers saw another 1-2 finish later in the afternoon, as sophomores Monika Burzynska and Anna Newnam finished back to back in the 200 fly, with the former winning by just .02 seconds. 

The women put up another strong performance in the 400 relay, as the ‘A’ and ‘B’ teams finished first and second. The 'A' team consisted of senior Meredith Newman, freshman Margot Kaczorowski, freshman Camryn Carter, and senior Emily Layne and finished with a time of 3:33.11. The 'B' team finished close behind in 3:38.61.

The matchup against Harvard was Penn’s final Ivy League dual meet of the season, and the Quakers will now shift gears as they prepare to host West Chester in a dual meet on Feb. 1.

In what will be their final dual of the season, the Red and Blue will look to finish off strong.