matthew-anderson-roku
1988 College graduate Matthew Anderson is Roku's Chief Marketing Officer.

1988 College graduate Matthew Anderson is featured on Forbes' first top 50 Chief Marketing Officers list.

The Forbes list, released last week, highlights CMOS who are redefining both marketing and branding at large companies as well as startups.

In 2013, Anderson was named Roku’s first chief marketing officer. He manages the global marketing and communications operations for the company’s streaming services. Roku is known for its streaming devices, and has more than 22 million active accounts as of June 2018.

While at Penn, Anderson majored in Urban Studies and English. According to Quakernet, he was also a member of the Varsity Tennis team and Delta Psi fraternity, commonly known as St. A's.

Prior to serving as Roku's CMO, Anderson oversaw branding, marketing, and other initiatives at News Corporation, a mass media and information services company that works with Wall Street Journal, the New York Post, and various television businesses. 

In a 2013 press release published on the company’s website, CEO and founder of Roku Anthony Wood attested to Anderson’s extensive media and entertainment experience.

“His deep media and marketing experience will be instrumental in amplifying our brand voice and growing the business as we enter the next phase in the streaming market,” Wood wrote. 

Chief Marketing Officers shape society when they interact with consumers, Forbes writes. The list pays homage to the progressive CMOs who are changing current marketing tactics and models.

With this distinct class of marketing officers redefining branding and marketing, Forbes relied on a host of qualitative research to determine who to spotlight. The compiled research focused on areas such as the experience and expertise of CMOs within their respective companies. 

Going forward, the CMO Next list will continue to highlight individuals who represent what it means to be a “disruptive chief marketer” and marketing leader that drives business growth and branding.