the_14th_dalai_lama_fep

The Dalai Lama initially planned a visit to Philly for October. Photo by Yancho Sabev / Courtesy of Creative Commons.

As one religious leader makes his way through Philadelphia today, another has cancelled his upcoming visit. On Friday, the Dalai Lama cancelled his October visit to Philadelphia under doctor’s orders.

The 80-year-old Tibetan Buddhist leader had been slated to talk at La Salle University and Temple University and, most importantly, to receive the Liberty Medal in Philadelphia on Oct. 26. However, doctors at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., advised the Dalai Lama to rest instead.

The Liberty Medal, established in 1988, is awarded to leaders who advance the cause of liberty around the world. Past recipients include Malala Yousafzai, Hillary Clinton, Bono, Nelson Mandela and Jimmy Carter.

The Dalai Lama’s office is now making arrangements for a representative to receive the honor in his place. The National Constitution Center has announced that free public tickets will be available on their site beginning Oct. 1st at 10 a.m. His cancelled trip had also included stops in Colorado and Utah.

Chime Rigzin, one of the Dalai Lama’s secretaries, told the Associated Press that the health test results are fine and that the Dalai Lama will soon be returning to Dharamsala, India.