Members of the Penn Democrats are looking west of campus to encourage civic engagement in high-school students.

The group is two weeks into a pilot program that delivers interactive civics workshops in an after-school program at West Philadelphia's Sayre High School. The lessons - which range from Jeapordy games to power point presentations - focus on teaching the workings of government from the federal to the municipal level, said outreach officer and College sophomore Nathaniel Miller.

He said the group's leaders wanted the project to reflect Penn Dems' interests.

"We wanted our project to be unique," he added.

Miller said the lessons are interactive and aim to work with the fifth- to eighth-grade students rather than just lecture at them.

Penn Dems is working together with Penn's Community School Student Partnerships, which coordinates over 180 student tutors and mentors in six different schools ranging from elementary to high school.

CSSP director and College senior Blanchard Diavua said the organization works with "a wide array of student groups" in an effort to integrate the West Philadelphia and Penn communities.

He said that in the past, CSSP had to reach out to student organizations on campus, but now groups like Penn Dems are approaching them and looking to help.

The after-school program at Sayre High is run by College senior and CSSP coordinator Ashley Cash, who has been working with Penn Dems since they began working with CSSP.

"The kids have really enjoyed the lessons" and have been asking when the Penn Dems students will be back, she said.

Cash explained that the Penn students' involvement reaches beyond just tutoring in the classroom - they also spend time with the children as mentors.

Miller said Penn Dems has been fulfilling this dual mentor-tutor role by sending a small group regularly so they can build up a relationship with the children in the class.

"We've got a good rapport going with the kids," he said.

While the program is only a pilot for now, Miller said he hopes Penn Dems will expand the outreach effort next year.

He added that the Penn Dems members involved are very enthusiastic and have enjoyed the last two weeks.

"I personally have gotten a lot out of it," he said.

Related StoriesPolitical groups focus on semester ahead - News