For the most of the class of 2013, gaining the coveted Ivy League acceptance was tougher than ever.

But for two Ivy League schools, Penn included, the acceptance rate increased -- Penn's rate went from 16.4 percent last April to 17.1 percent this year.

Princeton University's rate also rose slightly, from 9.25 percent to 9.79 percent, as the college plans to increase its class size to 1,300. The other six Ivy League schools all reported lower overall admissions rates this April compared to last April.

Harvard University accepted 7.02 percent out of the almost 30,000 applicants, down from 7.9 percent last year.

Part of the drop comes from Harvard admitting fewer students to the class of 2013 than the previous class in an effort not to over-enroll, Admissions Dean William Fitzsimmons told The Harvard Gazette.

Yale University, meanwhile, took 7.5 percent of their 22,000 applicants, as compared to 8.3 percent last year.

Dartmouth College and Cornell University both saw drops of just over 1 percent, changing from 13.2 percent to 12.04 percent and 20.4 percent to 19 percent, respectively.

Brown University saw the most dramatic decrease in acceptance rate - 10.8 percent this year, down from 13.3 percent last year. Columbia University remained fairly constant, decreasing slightly from 10.05 percent to 9.8 percent.

"These are very low numbers, and the bottom line is that this was a very competitive year," educational consultant Steven Goodman said.

He added that the lower rates at most of the Ivies reflect the value of a big-name education.

"If there was ever proof that the Ivy name meant something, this year proved it," he said. "In uncertain times, families and students focus on things they know. The astounding number of Ivy League applications this year reflects that."

Some Ivies, including Yale and Columbia, accounted for these uncertain times by accepting more students in case not everyone can afford to enroll.

Sally Rubenstone, senior adviser at College Confidential, reported a large amount of unpredictability and surprise from March 31 - for example, students accepted to one school but not another that is equally or even less competitive.

While the Ivies are as selective as ever, they are "making an effort to admit what I call the 'average outstanding kid' -- good citizens who are firing on many cylinders but who may not have perfect grades, tests scores, or resumes as long as my arm," she wrote in an e-mail.

Students remain hopeful for wait-list acceptances. Penn's acceptance rate, for example, rose from 16.4 percent to 17.01 percent after wait-list acceptances last year.

Dean of Admissions Eric Furda says he is "prepared for a lot of wait list activity in the coming months."

Related StoriesAdmit rate rises to 17.1 percent | Interactive graph - NewsTotal application numbers steady in 2009 | Interactive graph - NewsEarly admit rate rises to 32 percent this year | Interactive graph - News