After standing in line in 85-degree heat for several hours, Alex Roman was finally able to rest comfortably in her Radian apartment on Sunday night.

Roman, a College sophomore, said she had "a horrible move in experience," a sentiment echoed by many others who moved into the new 14-story apartment complex at 39th and Walnut Streets.

Students described the move-in as chaotic, saying the building had only three elevators, which forced residents to either wait in long lines or haul their belongings up the stairs themselves.

"They should've organized it a little better, maybe started it earlier in the week," said Roman, who lived in DuBois College House last year. "I don't think they were prepared for all those people moving in at once," she added.

Tensions arose between parents and workers on more than one occasion throughout the day. Parents complained that some employees openly solicited tips for their services and other workers complained about being asked to help residents move their belongings.

Radian employees provided water and refreshments for residents moving in, but for many students and parents, it was not enough.

"For what they're paying, this is ridiculous," said one woman, in from Michigan to help with her granddaughter's move. "There's no excuse for this level of disorganization by professional people."

A building manager for the Radian or a representative from Inland American Communities Group, Radian's developer, could not be reached for comment.

Students criticized the Radian for allowing students only one day to move in.

"I think it's very stupid and short-sighted that they didn't allow us to move in over an extended period of time," said Wharton senior Marko Horvat.

Architecture graduate student Sarah Bulgarelli said there were not enough staff members to assist students moving in.

Some students also said they were told they would be fined if they were caught with carts used for on-campus move-ins.

But not everyone allowed their tempers to get the best of them during the day.

Despite having to wait in line for 5 hours, John Vilanova, a College senior, kept a cool head and remained composed throughout the ordeal.

"Everyone needs to just calm down," Vilanova said. "Parents have been yelling at the hired help, and that hasn't helped the problem. There's just been a collective angst."

Despite problems at move-in, Roman said she is excited about living in the brand-new facility.

"There are still things they need to fix, but I'm happy," Roman said. "It's so much better than where I lived last year."

Related StoriesRadian nearing completion - NewsMixed reviews for Radian design - NewsEven off campus, RA-figures plan events - News