As Penn begins the public stage of its largest-ever capital campaign, donors have more questions on their minds than how much to give.

At a brunch Saturday for Benjamin Franklin Society donors - those who donate $2,500 or more annually to the University - many expressed concern and curiosity over the departure of former Dean of Admissions Lee Stetson, who suddenly resigned in late August.

"When there's a lack of an explanation, we always think that there's something nefarious going on," said George Weinbaum, a BFS donor and 1953 College alumnus.

Other donors also said the mysterious circumstances of Stetson's departure - Penn President Amy Gutmann will only say that the resignation was in the "best interests" of Stetson and the University - has led to suspicions of wrongdoing.

"People will question the integrity of the admissions department," said Curt Parnes, another donor.

His wife, Susan Parnes, agreed.

If the University does not reveal a reason for a departure, she said, "most people make assumptions and think the worst."

The University's reticence about Stetson's abrupt resignation was a major topic of discussion for both alumni and donors throughout their visits to campus during last weekend's capital campaign kickoff event, one of the most important milestones in Gutmann's tenure.

Donors' enthusiasm for the University will be especially important going forward as officials try to raise the remaining $1.9 billion of the school's $3.5 billion goal.

But despite donors' questions following Stetson's resignation, it's unclear what effect, if any, the departure will have on the capital campaign.

Carol Wittmeyer of Meliora Group, a fundraising consulting firm, said she doubted concerns about Stetson would affect the campaign, saying that "the only departure that might really matter to donors would be the president herself, because she's leading the campaign."

Still, donors said Penn's principles should prompt the University to be more open about Stetson.

"The University should seek truth, information and availability," said George Weinbaum's wife, Carol.

And many donors expressed a desire for Penn to reveal the truth quickly.

Sue Dreier Wishnow, a BFS donor and 1986 College alumna, said she thought the mystery surrounding Stetson's departure could make alumni feel less connected to a school that keeps secrets from them.

Another donor, 1984 Wharton graduate Jill Holtz, said she was "very surprised" by Stetson's sudden departure and the lack of explanation given for his resignation. The secrecy, she said, simply leads to more speculation - a result that she thinks will reflect more negatively in the mind of donors and alumni than what actually led to Stetson's exit.

"The truth is always the best way to proceed," she said.

And regardless of what transpired, Wishnow said, if wrongdoing occurred, donors will likely stick by Penn as long as officials are honest.

The University should "get it out in the open and move on," she said. "Whatever it is, this university can weather the storm."