Though iPods make carrying entire CD collections easy on the back, they might severely strain the ears, some experts say.

Hearing specialists have long warned that listening to portable music devices at high volume can cause hearing loss, said Pam Mason, director of audiology professional practices at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

And Apple Computer Inc. may be taking the warning seriously -- yesterday, it announced a new volume-controlling software update for its iPod and iPod nano.

The free update, which is available through Apple's Web site, allows users to set volume ceilings on the device.

Another feature of the update lets parents control the maximum volume of the iPod with a combination-code lock.

The update comes in the wake of a federal lawsuit filed last month against Apple that claims iPod use can result in hearing loss.

Without volume control, Mason said, repeated exposure to music through ear phones can cause permanent hearing damage.

She added that she is especially concerned about children -- many of whom have begun listening to iPods and other portable devices.

"You see young kids wearing [headphones] all the time, and I don't think anyone is aware that they can potentially damage hearing," Mason said.

But the effects can hinder college students as well, she added.

Because classroom learning is very listening intensive, even marginal hearing loss can be a major setback to students who are still learning academically and socially, Mason said.

Though students say they are aware of the dangers, some are not concerned.

College sophomore Omar Koukaz says he normally listens to his iPod at the 85- to 90-percent levels.

Mason suggests listening at or below the 60-percent level.

Others, however, do guard against hearing damage.

College sophomore Tutu Shotonwa said that she avoids listening to her iPod above the 50-percent level and tries to warn her friends as well.

"I'll tell my friends to turn it down," Shotonwa said. "I had a bad incident where one of my friends couldn't hear someone coming from behind them because they were listening too loud."

Mason said that the inability to hear one's surroundings indicates that the music is playing at a dangerous level.

Also, she said that "if you're standing across from someone wearing headphones in an elevator cab -- about three feet apart -- and you can hear their music, then that person is at severe risk for hearing loss."

Mason suggests that listeners lower the volume, limit listening time and consider using special earphones -- especially those with noise-cancellation features, meaning that background noise is blocked by the headphone before it reaches the listener's ear.

Mason also suggests that people have their hearing checked regularly.

Benjamin Backus, a Penn Psychology professor, agrees with Mason's advice, and he added another campus-specific tip.

"The other thing to avoid is going to parties," Backus said. "If your ear drums are tickling because the noise is so loud, put in earplugs."