When the slogan "Come alive with the Pepsi generation" was translated into Chinese, it became "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave."

Similar advertising gaffes had an audience howling last night in Meyerson Hall, where Marketing professor Jerry Wind gave a crowd of about 250 a crash course in brand names and logos.

The lecture was part of a series of public events sponsored by the Penn Humanities Forum, an interdisciplinary entity focusing on the theme of "Word and Image" this year.

Wind stressed the importance of brands in our society.

"You cannot have business without branding," he said.

Pointing to the pervasiveness of logos like the McDonald's arches or the Nike swoosh, Wind discussed the criteria involved in creating a successful brand and logo.

Wind also applied the concept of branding to the image crisis America as a nation is currently undergoing.

Because of perceived arrogance and charges of imperialism, "the U.S. is seen globally as a brand under attack," Wind said.

He added that some New York firms are working to improve America's image abroad because "it's good business" to have countries view the U.S. and its products favorably.

One audience member wondered whether Penn itself could use some marketing help, citing the "Not Penn State" shirts sold by the University Bookstore.

Wind responded that even Wharton isn't immune from such confusion.

"I was once introduced as Jerry Wind from the Wonton School," he recalled.

Overall, however, "The effort to brand Penn has been quite successful," Wind said.

Members of the community, rather than Penn undergraduates, made up a majority of the event's audience.

Temple Marketing Ph.D. student Ellen Thomas had studied some of Wind's articles and wanted to see him for herself.

Thomas was impressed by Wind's lecture, and hopes to integrate some of his information into her own teachings.

"Can [I] get a copy of the Powerpoint?" she said jokingly.

Penn Humanities Forum Founding Director Wendy Steiner called the lectures "one of the few places in Penn where the community feels welcome and comes out in large numbers."

She also added that greater participation among undergraduates would be welcome for future events.