[Shreyans Bhansali/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.) speaks at the 'Fix It, Don't Nix It' event, a Social Security rally held at World Cafe Live at 30th and Walnut streets. Several other prominent Democrats attended the event, includi

Four of the nation's most powerful Democrats visited University City on last week for "Fix it, Don't Nix It," a town hall meeting addressing President Bush's proposal to privatize Social Security.

Senators Dick Durbin (Ill.), Frank Lautenberg (N.J.), Byron Dorgan (N.D.) and Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) all spoke at the event, which was hosted by the World Cafe Live, at 30th and Walnut Street.

Several U.S. representatives were also present, including Philadelphia's Chaka Fattah and Allyson Schwartz.

The rally was the second in a four-part series of rallies for Social Security held across the country. The first meeting took place earlier that same day in New York City, and two more were conducted the next day in Phoenix and Los Angeles. The Democratic Party is sponsoring the series in an effort to combat Bush's drive towards privatization.

"This is a first attempt of its kind to bring discussion beyond the beltway," Reid spokeswoman Rebecca Kirszner said.

Sen. Hillary Clinton (N.Y.) and Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell were billed as speakers, but did not attend. Rendell was scheduled to attend, and Clinton had indicated that she might come.

The Penn Democrats had partially advertised for the event, heavily focusing on Clinton's expected presence.

"Of course, everyone loves Hillary, but I'm excited to see the others," said Wharton junior Jared Katseff, treasurer of the Penn College Democrats, before the event.

The program stressed that Social Security is an important American tradition. Durbin called it "the most important and successful social program in the history of the United States" and reiterated the Democrats' commitment to protecting it.

Calling Republicans who want to privatize Social Security "trust-fund troublemakers," Dorgan called on Democrats to oppose Republican plans for Social Security reform.

"Did you ever notice that those who believe we ought to take the Social Security system apart are those who will never need Social Security?" Dorgan asked the crowd of about 300.

The panel of congressional leaders said they would be more cooperative in the reform effort if the proposal to switch to some form of private investment accounts was abandoned.

The highly partisan audience reacted enthusiastically to the senators' speeches.

"I thought it was fabulous," said Penn Democrats President Jessica Smyth, a College junior. "The party leadership is putting together a great plan."

College junior Brian Rosenwald agreed.

"I think it's really good that we have the leadership coming to Philadelphia," he said.