[Noel Fahden/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

"The United States brought these attacks on itself."

No longer can I sit idly by and listen to this misguided claim.

At this stage, it is counterproductive to point fingers at each other. It is far more important that we pinpoint the individuals who aided the terrorists in the Sept. 11 attacks, punish them and try to ensure that such horror does not visit us again.

Fascist wannabes on talk radio alternatively blame this latest wave of terrorism on our too-lenient immigration policy and our political and economic ties to Israel.

The immigration argument is easy enough to dispel. Ever since we wrested land away from North America's indigenous people, this country has been one of, by and for immigrants.ÿThe only Americans who are justified in condemning America's open doors without sounding like hypocrites are Native Americans.ÿAnd even they, at one point in time, were emigres.

While it requires more explanation, the claim that the United States' generous aid to Israel led to the recent terrorist attacks is just as easily dismissed.ÿIn 1999, the United States spent between $1 and $3 billion in aid to Israel, according to various reports.

That same year, roughly $10 billion was allocated to aid Arab nations in North Africa and the Middle East.ÿThe figure includes a multi-billion-dollar package to Lebanon -- which spanned four years -- as well as $100 million to Palestinians, and over $2 billion to Egypt.

So those are the facts.ÿWhile Israel is a major benefactor of U.S. foreign aid, it is in no way the sole benefactor.ÿAnd a motion to revoke aid from Israel is a motion to revoke aid from the rest of the world.

As a nation blessed with both power and wealth, it our responsibility to assist where we are able.ÿTo do less -- to withdraw aid from Israel or any other nation -- is callous and irresponsible.

Particularly in light of the fact that Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East, the U.S. must, in the wake of these recent threats to democracy, continue to provide substantial aid.

Shimon Peres, Israel's foreign minister, was one of the first world leaders to denounce the recent terrorist acts in deeming them "attacks on civilization." And in the past year, we have seen countless terrorist attacks on Israeli civilians, including children. Yet Israel's military response has been limited.

Doubtless, their complacent reaction is in part due to their allegiance to the United States. The U.S. government, likely to preserve other alliances with Arab nations, wants Israel to be reserved in its retaliation. And Israel has, for the most part, complied.

Of all the nations in the Middle East, the best chance for promoting democracy lies with Israel. During the Persian Gulf War, Iraq fired missile after missile on Israeli cities. Yet Israel carried out no retaliatory military operations.

Our alliances with Arab nations are fickle, to say the least. During the 1980s, we backed Iraq against Iran; only to defend Kuwait against an Iraqi invasion a decade later. Once upon a time, we helped the Taliban to oust the Russians; now we face a possible ground war in Afghanistan.

But our alliance with Israel has been strong ever since the Jewish state was established in 1948. Indeed, the United States' relationship with Israel is one of our most solid worldwide, and by far the most stable in the often-tumultuous Middle East.

In light of all this, certain individuals have suggested that severing our alliance with the Jewish state would be an appropriate measure in warding off future terrorist attacks.ÿBut why stop there? Let us also dismantle our democracy and install a fundamentalist regime -- one resembling the Taliban -- in the White House. That will surely appease bin Laden and his associates, thereby solving all of our problems.

Those who suggest that aid to Israel is somehow an attack on Islam should be aware that the U.S.-led military campaign in Kosovo aided Albanians, many of whom are Muslim. That it was the United States that reproached Russia for its poor human rights record against Muslims in Chechnya.

That in 1997, the United States administered $70 million in humanitarian aid to the people of Afghanistan, an Islamic state.ÿAnd, finally, that the United States has also provided financial support to the governments of Egypt, Turkey, Jordan, Yemen and Pakistan.

America, in spite of its unflagging support of Israel, is not anti-Islamic.ÿNot only does the United States offer its financial support to several countries with substantial Muslim populations, but the United States is also home to a Muslim population approaching six million.

If we withdraw aid to Israel because, in this so-called time of war, we lack the funds to assist foreign nations, so be it.ÿBut let us not withdraw aid to Israel in order to appease the enemies of democracy.

Rebecca Davidson is a senior English major frm Glen Rock, N.J.