Several Mad 4 Mex employees were forced into a meat freezer. Students got down and dirty on Friday during a day-long symposium about mudslinging in American presidential politics. Held by Goldberg College House, the program -- entitled "The 'Nastiness Coefficient' in American Presidential Elections" -- offered students and faculty the opportunity to attend four presentations and accompanying discussions on the history of conflict in electoral politics. Each lecture examined a different period in the presidential politics of the past. Deputy Provost Peter Conn spoke on significant elections in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, while Annenberg School for Communication lecturer David Eisenhower addressed recent politics from 1968 to the present. Conn, who examined four historically significant presidential elections, drew on the art, literature and political cartoons of the time period to enhance his lecture, noting that the themes of race and the rise of industry were ingrained in each election. "This multimedia review provides the cultural background, the 'American moment,' of each election to tell us why it was critical," Conn said. Goldberg Faculty Master Ivar Berg, a Sociology professor, finished off the day with a discussion of the contemporary two-party political system and how it leads to "nastiness" in elections. During his lecture, he proposed that there is a general centrism in American politics that is undermined by the media's sensationalist focus on conflict between the two parties. Berg teamed up with Goldberg House Dean Jane Rogers in coordinating the event as part of their plan to create a residential program on Public Affairs and Public Culture. Ideally, Berg said, the program will attract majors across a variety of disciplines, especially Communications and other social sciences. "We'll admit those who give some expression of interest in communications and the media," Berg explained, noting that Goldberg House is likely to implement the program with the admission of next year's incoming freshman class. However, as a starting point for a larger program, the event did not attract a large number of students. The morning sessions in particular were sparely attended. College of Arts and Sciences Dean Richard Beeman cancelled his 9 a.m. lecture on early 19th century electoral politics because students simply didn't show up for the discussion. And only a handful of students came for Conn's 10:30 a.m. presentation, with most leaving to go to class just as discussion began. Berg's and Eisenhower's afternoon lectures attracted the greatest numbers of students, with about 25 in attendance for each. Berg attributed the low turnout to the timing of the symposium. He noted that early morning programming often conflicts with students' class schedules and that the overlap of the event with Homecoming weekend could have kept students from attending. "There's no way of predicting who will come," he said, adding that holding the symposium during Family Weekend next year might help bolster attendance. Those who did attend were largely there due to a personal interest in politics and the media. However, many also came out to support Berg. "Dr. Berg is my faculty advisor and I wanted to be here to support what he's doing," College freshman and Goldberg resident Aaron Short said.