Well, after the sarcastic "ha-ha" and awkwardness that followed, it dawned on me. First, women at many other schools commonly wear black pants along with their friends, sorority sisters, etc. But more importantly, I realized that most of the conventions we label as "exclusively Penn" are, in actuality, more broadly represented in society, and particularly among our peer universities. It's convenient to label Penn students as one giant mass of apathy, for instance, because we might not stage a protest against sweatshop labor. But the truth is, we really aren't all that different from everyone else. The conventional argument is some variation of the following: Because of the enormous influence of Wharton, Penn students generally have a more pre-professional attitude than those in peer schools. Therefore, they are less interested in deeper issues and instead remain apathetic. The basic flaw of this line of reasoning is that, even if it were true that, in general, Penn students are more pre-professionally minded, that doesn't necessarily mean we don't feel strongly about world events. As I prepare to enter my senior year, I feel I've been exposed to a wide range of issues and met some of the most brilliant and active minds of my generation, many of whom juggle a vast range of activities and interests. Yet throughout my time here, all I've heard is that Penn students, unlike others, only care about two things: money and themselves. True, Penn was the only Ivy League school not to have a student protest against their university licensing apparel made with sweatshop labor. I will not defend students for not taking action. But it would be a gross misperception to say that Penn students don't feel strongly about such an issue. Forums organized by such groups as the Progressive Activist Network only reinforce that. Furthermore, just last month, a student group was formed to join a national collegiate alliance dedicated to holding universities accountable for responsible investing. Penn also recently held a rally and an emergency forum on the situation in Kosovo. Different ethnic groups on campus frequently hold discussions and debates concerning cultural issues and their role on campus. Another fallacy the argument relies on, though, is that Penn is uniquely pre-professional, relative to its peers. Now granted, I cringe at the thought of my Whartonite friends making six figures right out of college and I, too have dropped resumes trying to get in on the party and find a consulting internship. I'll even come out and say it: Most Penn students want to make money. Lots of it. But is it really plausible to think that students at other Ivies don't want that as badly as we do? The truth of the matter is that while a student may choose Wharton because of its highly acclaimed business curriculum, almost everyone who enrolls in an Ivy League -- or peer -- school does so at least partly because having the name gives them a better chance of getting a good job upon graduation. Whether their eventual field be politics or software developing, law or medicine, architecture or investment banking, a major reason students work hard in high school and shell out the $30,000+ per year is have the greatest chance for success. For better or for worse, we live in a capitalist society, which is inevitably based upon maximizing economic gain. Perhaps you've seen Latrell Sprewell's new commercial, in which he purports to being the "American Dream." Sprewell, the NBA star best known for choking former coach P.J. Carlesimo when he was a member of the Golden State Warriors, was let back into the league this year after one year's suspension. Who remembers what product he's even endorsing --the message, rather, seems to be: choke your coach, show no respect, and you'll make millions. Sounds more like a nightmare. But I'd be lying if I told you I don't cheer every time Sprewell hits a big shot to bring my Knicks closer to a championship. Forgive me for being so bleak. The world we'll soon enter isn't a decaying place without morals or values. And never give up the dream of revitalizing a city, finding a cure for cancer or simply teaching impoverished kids how to read. But don't let the stigma of apathy steer you away from your goals -- or diminish the value of our University. If you think Penn's different, it is. We have access to a sprawling metropolis, a beautiful campus and a friendly, social atmosphere. And our basketball team can beat the crap out of anybody in the league.