This summer we're focusing on landscaping as a means to the same end: safer streets and a stronger sense of community. The new initiative, UC Green, is a comprehensive, collaborative approach to tackling several problems such as: · how to maintain University City's existing green spaces, · how to beautify existing empty spaces like vacant lots, sidewalks and those little plots of concrete or dirt that try to pass for front yards, · how to bring together different groups that do not often work together on common problems (i.e. residents, landlords, student tenants, local community groups and the University) and · how to create and maintain relationships between academic theory and practice in the local community which provide excellent learning opportunities for students. Penn courses that incorporate these goals already exist, such as those through the Department of Landscape Architecture and Regional Planning or Anne Spirn's West Philadelphia Landscape Project. In order to achieve this, we started by targeting a dozen public and semi-public spaces in distress. We then identified people who could be interested in the initiative and asked them what kind of help they may need to turn those eyesores into urban assets. And then we tried to get them what they need, usually by linking them to someone else in the community who is doing something similar or who has already done it. One of our priorities is addressing the problem of how to maintain a well-landscaped residential street where there are few or no homeowners (read: lots of transient student tenants). This summer we will be exploring how to use economies of scale to make tending a residential street worthwhile. Perhaps we can hire local high school students as urban gardeners as their after-school job. Like UC Brite, this would require a coordinated effort among residents, landlords and even student tenants. You might wonder what makes greening so important. How did we move from lights to plants? It's actually quite logical. After putting up the lights with UC Brite, we noticed that with some houses (namely the ones that students live in) all we did was illuminate an ugly street. Weeds were growing in front yards and between bricks and sidewalks were desolate concrete strips. But on some of the blocks further out into the community, where there are more permanent residents who take the time to care for their street, the lights illuminated beautiful shrubbery, flowers and community gardens. The nice feel of a street like the 4600 block of Osage Avenue should also exist at 39th and Baltimore. We've already seen the results of what some surface improvements can do -- just look at the Hamilton Village Shops or Beige Block. Imagine what this neighborhood -- our neighborhood -- would look like with some nice flowers, trees and even a bench or two. Further, experience has proven that a nice looking street can even be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Well-groomed streets attract less trash and less crime. UC Green has a lot of potential to make a visible impact in University City. The best part is that it is a work in progress, constantly open to new ideas, new projects and new partners. At this stage, UC Green is simply several sets of people who are all working on different projects in the community, whether it's landscaping a vacant lot by the Paul Robeson House at 50th and Walnut or installing flower boxes at 39th and Sansom. The UC Green network just provides the access to information and assistance. So what can you do as a student? Start off by taking care of your own space. Contact your landlord to see how to make your home --Eand your block -- more attractive. Even if you're only subletting for the summer, remember that this is your neighborhood, too. And UC Green is here to support you. Whether you need rakes and shovels or the names of other interested community members, all you have to do is contact us.