The August 15 closing of Hutchinson Gymnasium's swimming pool has led to twice the usual number of recreational swimmers at Gimbel Gymnasium's Sheerr Pool this semester, according to Sheerr Pool lifeguards. Because the varsity swimming teams begin daily practice this Monday afternoon, lifeguards and swimmers expect even more people to compete for Sheerr Pool lane time until the Hutch pool reopens, probably during the first week in October. The Hutch pool -- constructed as part of the Palestra-Hutch complex in 1926 -- closed in August "to do investigative work and repairs," according to Physical Plant Director James Wargo. Larry Lauchle, associate athletic director for facilities, explained that the pool's filtering system had broken down, leading to chlorine leakage between the pool's bricks. Engineers recently dug four "exploratory holes" in the drained pool's walls to examine its condition. Though the pool will reopen in October, it will close again next summer so workers can complete repairs on the 70-year-old facility. "There's an extensive amount of work that has to be done," said Lauchle, adding that the Hutch pool will pose "no danger whatsoever" when it reopens, even though it will not be completely repaired. Lauchle said he does not know the cost or scope of next summer's renovations. "We're not sure exactly what we're going to do yet," Lauchle said. "We don't want to tear it apart too much now, because it would take too long to get it back in service." Lauchle said the increase in swimmers at Sheerr Pool due to Hutch pool's closing is especially noticeable between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. "When [one pool is] down, the other one takes a tremendous amount of pressures put on it by a number of people," Lauchle explained. "And then with teams practicing, that creates a bigger problem." Engineering sophomore Brian Jessup, a member of the men's varsity swimming team, said he is now encountering difficulties when he practices at Sheerr Pool during recreational swim times. "You have to share lanes with someone who's not doing your workout," said Jessup, noting that he needs to swim during recreational periods because he misses team workouts periodically due to other commitments. But Wharton sophomore and recreational swimmer Adrienne Kardosh said she has not had any problems at Sheerr Pool, despite the fact that it is more crowded than usual. "The people here are pretty good about sharing the lanes," she said. Wharton sophomore Michael Irizarry, a lifeguard at Sheerr Pool, said the lifeguards who previously worked at the Hutch pool have joined Sheerr's staff to monitor the larger crowds of swimmers. But Irizarry said the recreational swimming regulars may have to reschedule their activity between Monday, when the varsity teams begin practice, and whenever the Hutch pool reopens. "Those [recreational swimmers] won't have anywhere to swim during those hours [in which the varsity teams practice]," Irizarry said. Kardosh noted that she thinks more people -- particularly better swimmers -- use the Sheerr Pool instead of the Hutch pool anyway. She cited Sheerr Pool's cleanliness as a reason for that trend.