Several animal rights activists reported finding the severed head and skin of what appeared to be a sheep in a garbage facility behind the Hillel Foundation on Saturday afternoon. The animal's remains were wrapped in a bloodstained sheet, along with a notebook, two broken beer bottles, two blue candles and a white rose. On the blood-splattered notebook the following was written: The fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta, hereby, relinquish any liability for the undersigned on the night of April 28, 1995. Thirteen signatures were written underneath the message. Two of the signatures appeared to read Joseph Mauro and John Ward. The other eleven signatures were illegible. Ward, a Wharton freshman, said he had no knowledge of the dead animal or the note and refused further comment. Mauro, a College freshman, also said he had no knowledge of the remains or note, but he confirmed that he was a Fiji brother initiated on April 19. A person in the Fiji house who identified himself as the fraternity's president, but refused to give his name, said he had no knowledge of the remains and declined further comment. The dead animal was found 50 feet from the Fiji house at 3619 Locust Walk. University Police responded to the scene at about 3:07 p.m, at which time University Police Detective Supervisor Mike Carroll said he believed the animal was not freshly killed. He said the individuals responsible for the remains could be not be charged with the crime of cruelty to animals if the animal had been killed in a slaughterhouse or by a butcher. University Police Detective Laura Schmerfeld said the animal's severed head was professionally sawed in half, with equipment typically found in a slaughterhouse or butcher shop. The remains were transported to the Veterinary School of Medicine to determine when the animal was killed, Carroll said. He added that there is an ongoing University Police investigation into the incident. The animal remains were discovered by Philadelphia resident Melvin Belser. He said he originally thought the remains were a mop head, but on closer inspection he realized it was an animal's head and skin. Belser said he then told several animal rights activists in front of Van Pelt Library, who coincidentally were protesting the alleged use of dogs in medical training classes by the University. The activists then notified University Police. Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Tricia Phaup refused to comment on the incident Sunday afternoon.