Finally, Asian-American authors of the likes of Maxine Hong-Kingston and Frank Chin will be taught in the College. Visiting Asian-American Literature Professor Walter Lew, who has taught at Brown, Yale and Columbia universities, will be at the University next fall to teach a long-anticipated Asian-American literature course for one semester. English professor Peter Conn, who is a member of the Asian-American Studies Committee and a main force in establishing this course, described Lew as "an extremely impressive lecturer and scholar." He emphasized the need for a class focusing on Asian-American literature because of its relevance to contemporary literature. "Asian-American writing has emerged recently as a large and powerful field of artistic expression," Conn said. "Some of the most exciting poetry, prose and drama has been written by Asian-Americans from a wide variety of heritages." Lew, who is also a poet, editor and producer in New York City, relayed the same sentiments. "Asian-American literature should be a part of any Asian-American literature curriculum," Lew said. "Asian-American writers are at the forefront of what's exciting about American literature in general. "It is a deceit and erasure of our own consciousness and sensibility if we're not allowed to read and think about Asian-American literature and history," he added. And South Asia Regional Studies Professor and committee member Rosane Rocher said the University has been slow in developing an Asian-American Studies Department due to a lack of finances. "[The University of California at Berkely] and other schools in the Ivy League are way ahead of us," Rocher said. American Civilization Professor Murray Murphey, another committee member, said the course was initiated by a growing demand among the University Asian-American student population and faculty for a more well-rounded curriculum. "The Asian-American students have been vocal for some time," Murphey said. "What we have at present is certainly not adequate." But some said they are disappointed that the course is only scheduled for a single semester. "It is a step in the right direction," Wharton junior and committee member Norbert Hsu said. "But a semester course is not enough."