voting
Credit: Guyrandy Jean-GIlles

While a Democratic lawsuit alleging voter intimidation was rejected by a federal judge on Monday, a Philadelphia politician now claims voter intimidation against Republicans.

On the eve of Election Day, a lawsuit claiming voter intimidation was rejected by United States District Judge Paul S. Diamond, Bloomberg reported. The lawsuit was filed last week by the Pennsylvania Democratic Party against the Republican Party of Pennsylvania. 

The plaintiff argued that Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and his political adviser Roger Stone had intimidated minority voters by acting as poll monitors. The judge dismissed the claim as insubstantial. 

The lawsuit was one of several filed by members of the Democratic Party in swing states. In his ruling, Diamond wrote, “The Democrats’ ‘belated, inflammatory allegations appear intended to generate only heat,’ and don’t support claims that the Trump campaign threatened voting rights.”

Now, a member of the Republican party has voiced his own concerns regarding Democratic voter intimidation. According to BillyPenn, Philadelphia Republican City Committee chairman Joe DeFelice has “filed a complaint with the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office and plans to send more this afternoon.” DeFelice has also levied accusations of “voter suppression, disenfranchisement, and intimidation … Everything they claimed we were going to do.” 

DeFelice’s office filed the complaint in response to a series of minority inspectors reportedly being turned away and has reported that his office learned that “numerous Republican poll inspectors” were turned away from polling stations throughout Philadelphia.