02-24-24-shdh-caleb-crain
The state of the school was held on April 4th at Steinberg - Dietrich Hall. Credit: Caleb Crain

Penn students, administrators, and representatives from six branches of Penn Student Government gathered for the annual State of the School event on April 4.

The event, which was held in Steinberg-Dietrich Hall during PSG week, is a forum through which student leaders inform the school of their respective groups’ recent contributions to student life and their future goals. The event featured remarks from Vice Provost of University Life Karu Kozuma, and later opened to questions about the current and future state of Penn from anyone in the student body. 

This year’s event touched on several topics including unused funding for student groups, this year's Spring Fling concert, and the upcoming announcement of the first-ever winners of the Sarah Katz award.

The event began with introductory remarks by Shravya Aparasu, the Vice Chair for Education of the Nominations and Elections Committee, followed by a speech from Wharton senior and Undergraduate Assembly President Xavier Shankle. Shankle spoke about PSG's various responsibilities and recent achievements — focusing on the funding of hundreds of student groups, inviting guest speakers to campus, and planning social events and concerts.

Student Activities Council Chair Leo Cassel-Siskind said that, after conducting a review, SAC had found that over $250,000 in funding given to clubs in the past academic year was left unused — describing the ongoing pattern as "clearly unsustainable." He said that SAC's "biggest focus" this year is decreasing unspent funding, leading to an in-depth analysis of budget and funding guidelines.

Cassel-Siskind said that SAC would make efforts to fund events on a contingency basis rather than an upfront sum, implement a closer monitoring system, and extend awareness on how to claim funds from SAC. 

He also encouraged Penn to re-evaluate the classification of specific club sports, including the sailing and ice hockey teams. He cited SAC as responsible for funding the significant expenses of such club sports, even though they have achievements, recruiting timelines, and practice schedules reflective of varsity teams, which are funded by Penn.

Another key topic of discussion was the inaugural Sarah Katz award. The award, which was established in February in honor of Katz — a Penn student who died in September 2022 — will provide funding for students working to promote health literacy with an emphasis on heart-related health. The inaugural recipients of the award will be announced this Wednesday.

“We feel honored and empowered to continue to uphold her legacy,” External Chair of the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education Michelle Wen said.

Members of other branches of PSG spoke on broader directional aims for the University. Yousef Elyoussef, the Chair of the Nominations and Elections Committee, encouraged Penn to stay diligent in making the University a space that is equitable for all students — citing the NEC being originally founded to create avenues for underrepresented students at Penn to have their voices heard.

“The path forward for Penn involves being mindful and being proactive about fostering an environment that celebrates diversity, ensures equity, and embraces inclusivity,” Elyoussef said.

Elyoussef also spoke on the ongoing spring elections for student government, including the voting portal that was intended to open April 4 but faced technical difficulties and ultimately opened on Friday night.

During the Q&A session at the end of the event, students asked Kozuma about administrative aims for student wellbeing and mental health on campus. Kozuma said that Penn is aware of evolving needs on campus and acknowledged the school’s limited capacity regarding mental health resources, saying “we’re trying to be proactive.”

Kozuma also emphasized that everyone in the Penn community has a role to play in ensuring student well-being.

Multiple students also asked about the University's policies on the neutral expression of political stances and ensuring students’ safety.

“We are really committed within our community to remain there for everyone,” Kozuma responded. “We have to have honest conversations.”

Other topics included the mandatory dining plan and on-campus living requirements for second-year students, and Penn’s status as need-aware for international students. While Kozuma acknowledged the significance of both issues, he did not mention direct actions being taken by Penn's administration.

College first year Mackenzie Hill — who is Vice President of External Affairs for Class Board and a New Student Representative for the UA — told The Daily Pennsylvanian that State of the School is an important opportunity for the Penn community to discuss issues directly with administration. 

“[State of the School] allows us to voice our thoughts and represent the student body to administrators to give a fuller picture of what student life is like here,” she said.