2-3-20-houston-hall-amanda-shen
The Nominations and Elections Committee approved a referendum on Israel divestment by Penn's Muslim Student Association. Credit: Amanda Shen

Penn's Muslim Student Association's proposed referendum on divestment from Israel will proceed to a ballot vote by the student body, according to an Instagram post at 1:55 p.m.

The petition for the referendum, which was circulated on April 24 by Penn MSA and reposted by Penn Students Against the Occupation of Palestine, asks students whether the University should divest its endowment fund from companies and organizations that “profit from, engage in, or contribute to the government of Israel’s human rights violations,” in addition to two other questions. 

“As we have previously stated, on numerous occasions, the University of Pennsylvania does not support boycotts, divestment, or sanctions against Israel," a University spokesperson wrote to the DP.

Voting on the referendum will be open for all undergraduate students until Wednesday. The ballot vote was approved by the University's student government.

"The now approved referendum about disclosure and divestment is a way for us as undergraduate students to have a democratic student voice," MSA wrote on Instagram. "… We the students define what our University stands for, not donors and not Congress."

In a statement to The Daily Pennsylvanian, a MSA spokesperson wrote that the referendum was presented "to get an honest and direct understanding of how the Penn student body feels on these three questions." 

"This ballot is an ideal platform to uplift student voices while combating fears of doxxing and supporting student safety on campus," they added. 

The petition also asks if the University should disclose all investments held through its endowment fund and if Penn should cut ties with Ghost Robotics, a company housed in Pennovation Works that develops four-legged robots for military use that are allegedly used by the Israeli government to “commit human rights violations.”

The MSA spokesperson also emphasized the importance of student participation in the referendum.

"We want to emphasize that it is crucial that all undergraduate students vote on this referendum," they said. "Whether students vote in support or disagreement with the questions, this is an opportunity to receive the most accurate perspectives of the undergraduate student body."

A Penn Arab Student Society spokesperson wrote to the DP that the group "is in full support of MSA’s referendum and wants to echo the MSA’s ask that all undergraduate students exercise their right to vote.”

The petition gathered the 500 signatures necessary to be sent to the undergraduate student body and came before the Nominations & Elections Committee for approval on Wednesday night.

“We understand that the MSA is proposing an unprecedented referendum and we want to stand by our commitment to amplifying student voices and our responsibility to advocating for the student body,” NEC Chair Yousef Elyoussef and Undergraduate Assembly President Ria Ellendula wrote in a joint statement to the DP on Wednesday. “Our goal is to ensure this is an equitable and transparent process.”

The Penn Israel Public Affairs Committee posted on its Instagram story after the referendum vote was opened, writing "VOTE NO TO BDS PROPOSAL NOW!!!! SO IMPORTANT THIS DOES NOT PASS."

Earlier in the week, in response to MSA's referendum being proposed, PIPAC sought their own referendum — writing that it was in response to "the proposed BDS referendum that went around campus yesterday."  

PIPAC asked four questions related to whether Penn should adhere to the Department of Education and Pennsylvania's anti-discrimination regulations, whether Penn should continue investing in Israeli companies  spearheading "cancer research," "medical breakthroughs," and "innovative technologies to assist underdeveloped countries"; and whether the University should maintain ties with Israeli companies working on using technologies to "defend itself and free the hostages."