11-03-23-julie-platt-ethan-young

Vice chair Julie Platt was appointed the interim chair of the Board of Trustees, following the resignation of Scott Bok.

Credit: Ethan Young

Julie Beren Platt will become the interim chair of the University Board of Trustees following the immediate resignation of Scott Bok, according to a message to the Penn community.

"As current Vice Chair, Julie was the clear choice, and we are grateful to her for agreeing to serve in this capacity during this time of transition," the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees wrote in a statement, adding that Platt will only serve until the appointment of a successor.

Platt — a 1979 College graduate — previously served as the vice chair of the Board of Trustees and was the Penn Alumni president from 2013 until 2018. She has been a member of the Board of Trustees since 2006

Platt will only serve the role as interim due to her commitment as chair of the Board of Trustees of the Jewish Federations of North America, a position she has held since 2022.

The Executive Committee added that the nominating committee of the Board of Trustees will begin an "expeditious process" to recommend the next chair to the Executive Committee before the start of the spring semester.

"We share your commitment to this extraordinary University, and while this is a challenging time, the Penn community is strong and resilient, and together, we will move forward," the Executive Committee wrote.

Platt is the president of the Julie Beren Platt and Marc E. Platt Foundation, Inc. Platt also serves on Penn Hillel's National Board of Governors.

On Oct. 11, in a statement provided to The Daily Pennsylvanian, Platt said that she had “full confidence” in Penn President Liz Magill and University Board of Trustees Chair Scott Bok’s leadership in response to Marc Rowan — the chair of the Wharton School's Board of Advisors — calling on them to step down on Oct. 11 due to the University's response to antisemitism on campus.

“I join with the many members of the Penn family in expressing solidarity with all those who have been impacted by the horrific assault on Israel by Hamas and in condemning these hateful acts of terror,” Platt wrote to the DP on Oct. 11. “The University has publicly committed to unprecedented steps to further combat antisemitism on its campus, reaffirmed deep support for our Jewish community, and condemned the devastating and barbaric attacks on Israel by Hamas.”

Magill announced her plans to resign in an email to the Penn community on Dec. 9. Minutes later, Scott Bok wrote that he is stepping down from his position as chair of the University Board of Trustees, according to a statement from Bok obtained by the DP. 

Alongside her husband, 1979 College graduate Marc Platt, Julie made a significant gift to support the Platt Student Performing Arts House. The Platts also created the Julie B. Platt Endowed Fund in support of the Center for Advanced Judaic Studies and the Julie Beren Platt and Marc E. Platt Scholarship at the School of Arts and Sciences.

Four of Platt's five children are Penn alums: 2005 College graduate Samanatha Platt Auerbach, 2008 College graduate Jonah Platt, 2012 College graduate Hannah Platt Rosin, and 2021 College graduate Henry Platt.

Award-winning actor and singer Ben Platt — who is not a Penn graduate — is also Platt's son.