10-22-22-football-vs-yale-jonathan-mulatu-anna-vazhaeparambil
Fifth-year senior running back Jonathan Mulatu runs the ball down the field during last season's matchup against Yale on Oct. 22, 2022. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

While Penn football may have defeated Yale last season, the Bulldogs, as the 2022 Ivy League Champions, will have the bragging rights when the Quakers take the field in New Haven, Conn. this weekend.

A year after Penn’s (4-1, 1-1 Ivy) victory, both teams are in the thick of an extremely tight Ivy League title chase. Six teams have Ivy League records of 1-1, with Harvard — the only remaining undefeated team — leading the way at 2-0. The Bulldogs are coming off of three straight wins and will look to continue their title defense by avenging last year's loss, giving this game incredibly high stakes.

“From here on out, it is all Ivy play, so each and every game is going to be a playoff game coming up,” senior wide receiver Joshua Casilli said.

A season ago, the Quakers defended Franklin Field with a 20-13 win after fifth-year senior running back Jonathan Mulatu scored a one-yard rushing touchdown with 20 seconds remaining to put Penn ahead. It would be Yale’s only conference loss of the season, while Penn's losses against Harvard and Brown denied the team a conference title. Speaking of close games, the Quakers' 20-17 win over Columbia last weekend was their third straight game that was decided by one score.

“Being put in the same situation multiple times gives you comfort, gives you poise," Casilli added. "Like I said before, we trust in our abilities, we trust ourselves, and we trust the person next to you and we feel confident in those types of situations.”

Against the Lions, Penn committed seven penalties for 46 yards, including a fourth-down offsides infraction that allowed a Columbia drive to continue and ultimately finish in a touchdown. According to coach Ray Priore, the team needs to work on their concentration to avoid shooting themselves in the foot this week. 

“There are some penalties that you understand can happen. A quick face masking penalty, that can happen," he said. "There are those ones that you use the phrase undisciplined penalties that you have to erase. We will work hard on that this week.”

Despite the penalties, Penn had a number of positives to take away from their first Ivy League victory of the season, including freshman running back Malachi Hosley. After a combined 181 total yards and three touchdowns in the Georgetown and Dartmouth games, Hosley has emerged as the lead back for the Quakers. His 14 carries on Saturday were the most by any Penn running back in a single game this season. After his performance last week, Hosley was also named to the Jerry Rice Award Midseason Watch List for the best overall freshman in the FCS. According to Priore, Hosley will continue to receive the bulk of the carries moving forward.

Priore added that the team will still look to use other running backs in certain situations, referencing Mulatu’s important catch at the end of last week's game.

On the other side of the ball, Penn’s defense will have a lot on its plate as the team attempts to contain the reigning Ivy League Offensive Player of the Year, Nolan Grooms, and company. The dual-threat quarterback has rushed for 279 yards and thrown for 966, adding 12 touchdowns with only two interceptions so far this season.

“You got to approach him differently than other quarterbacks you play against,” Priore said.

He added that his strong arm and athleticism combined with a strong supporting cast make him very difficult to defend. Yale finished last season as the No. 1 offense in the Ivy League. So far this year, Penn’s defense is ranked at No. 5 in the conference, allowing an average of 21.2 points per game.

“We have to just finish,” Priore said. “Finish every play. Every play on offense, every play on defense, special teams plays. If we do that, we have a good chance.”

The Quakers will head to New Haven on Saturday for a noon kickoff at the Yale Bowl. This will be the 81st matchup between the two teams, and Penn’s record in the series is 38-41-1.