02-03-23-john-fetterman-at-phl-jesse-zhang
Senator John Fetterman exiting Air Force One at Philadelphia International Airport on Feb. 3. Credit: Jesse Zhang

Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.) checked himself into the hospital to receive treatment for clinical depression on Wednesday night.

Fetterman sought treatment at Walter Reed National Military Center in Bethesda, Md., on Feb. 15, according to a Thursday statement from Fetterman's office. He was admitted after being evaluated Monday by Brian Monahan, the attending physician of the United States Congress, who recommended inpatient care on Wednesday. 

“While John has experienced depression off and on throughout his life, it only became severe in recent weeks,” Fetterman’s Chief of Staff Adam Jentleson said in the statement emailed to The Daily Pennsylvanian.

“After what he’s been through in the past year, there’s probably no one who wanted to talk about his own health less than John,” Fetterman’s wife Gisele Barreto Fetterman wrote in a tweet. “I’m so proud of him for asking for help and getting the care he needs.” 

Fetterman was previously admitted to George Washington University Hospital on Feb. 8 — after reporting feelings of lightheadedness during a Senate Democratic retreat.

“Towards the end of the Senate Democratic retreat today, Senator John Fetterman began feeling lightheaded," a statement from his office from Feb. 8 wrote. "He left and called his staff, who picked him up and drove him to The George Washington University Hospital. Initial tests did not show evidence of a new stroke, but doctors are running more tests and John is remaining overnight for observation."

Fetterman was then discharged from the hospital on Feb. 10, before he readmitted himself five days later. 

While on the campaign trail in May 2022, Fetterman suffered a stroke, which led to an extended hospital stay. 

Additionally, he was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and cardiomyopathy, and he had a pacemaker and defibrillator installed in his heart. As a result of his stroke, which caused an auditory processing disorder, Fetterman has been using audio-to-text and technological accommodations in the Senate. 

“After examining John, the doctors at Walter Reed told us that John is getting the care he needs, and will soon be back to himself,” the statement from Fetterman's office said.