02-05-22-wbb-vs-cornell-jordan-obi-anna-vazhaeparambil
Sophomore forward Jordan Obi competes for the rebound during the game against Cornell at the Palestra on Feb. 5. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

In Penn women’s basketball's first matchup against Cornell since before the pandemic, it picked up a critical Ivy League victory and moved past the Big Red in the Ancient Eight standings. 

The 71-61 victory over the Big Red (7-12, 2-6 Ivy) on Saturday night also snapped the Quakers' (8-12, 3-5 Ivy) five-game conference losing streak, and could serve as a potential turning point for a Penn team in need of a spark. 

Cornell struck first, but junior guard Kayla Padilla answered seconds later with a floating jump shot. Moments later, senior guard Mia Lakstigala scored a deep three-pointer to give Penn its first but slight lead of 5-4. 

A Big Red layup soon thereafter reclaimed the lead from the Quakers, but sophomore forward Jordan Obi’s layup put the team right back on top. This back-and-forth affair continued throughout the first quarter.

Obi’s stat sheet this season has more than proven her excellence on the court. But Saturday’s game showcased a hidden talent: hitting free throws with only one contact in.

After drawing a foul, Obi picked up her loose contact from the ground, set it aside, and sunk a free throw before proceeding to put it back in. She made her next shot, too, putting the Quakers up by a pair. Obi's shooting skills were on display, with and without 20/20 vision.

Credit: Julia Van Lare Junior guard Kayla Padilla attempts to dribble past a Cornell defender during the game on Feb. 5 at the Palestra.

Four minutes into the game, coach Mike McLaughlin subbed in freshman guard Stina Almqvist – a substitution that would soon prove lucrative. Almqvist hit a three from the corner just a little over a minute after getting subbed in to tie the game at 10 apiece. She then hit another three from the same hot corner two minutes after.

“We’ve been improving on our execution,” Padilla said. “I think this game has really highlighted the fact that we were able to execute well and get the ball in open spots, like the corner.”

Penn’s next few shots came up empty, however. Additionally, back-to-back threes from the Big Red put the visitors up 17-15 at the close of the first quarter.

The second period began much like the first, with both teams continuing to trade baskets. The two teams found themselves tied three times until Lakstigala hit another three-pointer that pulled Penn ahead. The team was beginning to find its rhythm, too. Cutting through thick defense in the paint allowed for multiple driving layups for the Quakers.

“Defensively, we did really good,” McLaughlin said. “I thought we got the ball off the floor a little bit better and we rebounded. We out-rebounded [Cornell] and that’s something we haven’t done great.”

Securing offensive rebounds was crucial in the Quakers' gameplay. Assists by Padilla were too, as she racked up three in the quarter and ended the game with a total of six.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil Senior forward Kennedy Suttle looks to pass the ball during the game against Cornell at the Palestra on Feb. 5.

Foul trouble on Cornell’s end presented the Red and Blue with plenty of scoring opportunities from the three-point line. The second quarter opened with senior forward Kennedy Suttle scoring two points off of free throws and concluded with a team total of seven.

The lead acquired by Lakstigala’s three-point shot stuck, and the Red and Blue finished the first half ahead by five points with a 36-31 score.

The Quakers jumped right into the second half with a burst of energy. An early steal by Lakstigala led to a second-chance jumper by junior guard Sydnei Caldwell to start the scoring in the third quarter. 

Multiple steals, offensive rebounds, and drawn fouls made up Penn’s 11-point run throughout the first half of the third. Padilla’s driving layup off the fast break then gave the team a comfortable 11-point lead. Minutes later, she drilled a three that extended the Quakers' point total to 50.

The Red and Blue’s strong defense in the third quarter held Cornell to a middling 12 points. By the time the buzzer sounded again, Penn was up 54-43 and in good position to secure the win.

Not wanting to go down without a fight, the Big Red put up strong numbers in the fourth quarter. However, it was nothing the Quakers couldn’t handle.

Lakstigala furthered the team’s lead with a three-point shot, a common occurrence. The team then acquired its largest lead of the night at 18 points with the help of Suttle, who capitalized on multiple Cornell turnovers.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil Senior guard Mia Lakstigala attempts a layup against Cornell during the game on Feb. 5 at the Palestra.

The pace picked up in the final minutes as Cornell attempted to rally back, but time was winding down and Penn’s double-digit lead was not budging. When Cornell eventually cut the difference to eight points in the final minute, Padilla nailed a three-pointer to seal the deal.

Saturday’s outing was huge on numbers. Padilla led the team with 18 points scored and six assists, closely followed by Obi’s 16 points and three assists. Obi also registered her fourth double-double of the season. Additionally, Suttle led the Quakers in steals with five, matching her career best.

“It’s been really transparent that we’ve been going through a tough stretch,” Padilla said. “Just to get a win on our home floor is a motivator for the next few games. We’re going to celebrate it but also use it as a boost as we take on these tough teams.”

Riding this high, the Quakers will take on Harvard (12-9, 6-3 Ivy) next Saturday on the Crimson’s home court in Cambridge, Mass.