penn-medicine-maloney-building-people-walking-penn-campus

The collaboration between Penn Medicine and Virtua Health brings health care from a cross-disciplinary team of Penn and Virtua clinicians to South Jersey residents.

Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

Penn Medicine and Virtua Health announced Thursday that their collaboration in cancer and neuroscience services has been renewed for another three years. 

The collaboration, which first began in 2015, brings health care from a cross-disciplinary team of Penn and Virtua clinicians to South Jersey residents. The two organizations will open South Jersey’s first proton therapy center on the Virtua Voorhees Hospital campus. 

The center will provide patients with access to everything they need from evaluation to treatment, including clinical trials involving proton therapy. Construction for the proton therapy center began this summer, and it will be finished by the summer of 2022, Penn Medicine News reported.

The Penn Medicine Virtua Cancer Program, specifically for cancer care, provides medical oncology, radiation oncology, surgical oncology, microvascular reconstructive surgery, and support services.  

Under the Penn Medicine Virtua Neurosciences Program, Penn’s neuroscience experts provide neurosurgery, interventional radiology, and stroke support, which includes access to imaging analysis at any time to assess patients and evaluate treatment options, Penn Medicine News reported.

“Over the first five years of our alliance with Virtua, thousands of patients in South Jersey have had access to the highest level of health care right in their own community,” Chief Executive Officer of the University of Pennsylvania Health System Kevin Mahoney told Penn Medicine News. 

The alliance between Penn Medicine and Virtua also allows orthopedic surgery fellows from Penn to rotate through Virtua as part of their fellowship training program, Penn Medicine News reported.

“One of the best things about Penn Medicine is its commitment to extending outstanding, cutting-edge care to patients in communities outside of Philadelphia,” Chair of neurosurgery and vice president of clinical integration and innovation at Penn Medicine Daniel Yoshor told Penn Medicine News. “The neuroscience collaboration with Virtua is a terrific example of that commitment and it has allowed us to bring advanced neurological care directly to patients in South Jersey.”