perry-world-house
File Photo Credit: Erica Xin

Penn is home to various student centers where students, staff, and faculty can easily access resources and attend public events featuring high-profile figures. The centers offer a wide range of resources, including academic support, cultural programming, and religious guidance.

The Kelly Writer's House. (File Photo)

Academic centers

At the Perry World House, located at 3803 Locust Walk, students can engage with international affairs. Since its grand opening in 2016, PWH has supported forums, student programs, and research focusing on global policy. World-renowned visitors include Joe Biden, Jeb Bush, Susan Rice, and H.R. McMaster. 

The Kelly Writers House, located at 3805 Locust Walk, is a gathering place for writers of all kinds. Each semester, it hosts about 150 public programs and projects, including poetry readings, film screenings, lectures, and workshops. 

The Marks Family Writing Center, located at 3808 Walnut St., provides students with writing guidance, feedback, and workshops on campus. Open to all students, the Writing Center is staffed by both faculty and students. 

Cultural spaces

La Casa Latina. (File Photo)

Makuu: The Black Cultural Center, located in the basement of the ARCH building at 3601 Locust Walk, connects students to black culture and the African Diaspora. Makuu offers advising, programming support, and various resources such as leadership development and networking opportunities.

The Center for Hispanic Excellence: La Casa Latina serves as a center for Latinx students as well as the Penn community at large. La Casa Latina, in the ARCH basement, often collaborates with the student group Latinx Coalition to design programs that reflect the diversity of Latinx students at Penn. 

The Pan-Asian American Community House, also located in the ARCH basement, is a space dedicated to South Asian, East Asian, Southeast Asian, and Pacific Islander cultures. PAACH works on cultural programming, community service, and works with the Asian American Studies Program to host academic events.

The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Center, located at 3907 Spruce St., provides resources to the LGBTQ+ community such as a mentorship program, various workshops, and the Leslie Townsend Fund that supports students making a gender transition. 

The Penn Women’s Center, located at 3643 Locust Walk, works with students, staff, and faculty of all gender identities to promote the rights and professional advancement of women and female-identified people.

Greenfield Intercultural Center, located at 3708 Chestnut St., works to enhance students’ intercultural knowledge. GIC also provides resources for first-generation, low-income students,  such as event space and advising. 

Religious and artistic communities 

Penn Hillel. (File Photo)

Penn Hillel, located at 215 S. 39th St., engages Jewish students on campus by supporting student organizations and sponsoring events inside Steinhardt Hall. It also hosts Falk Dining Commons, a kosher dining hall.

The Penn Newman Center is a hub for the Catholic community on campus and is located temporarily at 3728 Chestnut St., on the lower level of St. Agatha-St. James Church. The center offers Sunday Mass, religious retreats throughout the year, and community service opportunities. 

The Platt Student Performing Arts House, located at 3702 Spruce Street, provides space for performances, rehearsals, and events for campus performance groups. Platt House also hosts the Performing Arts Council, which oversees 46 of Penn’s student-run dance, singing, comedy, theater, and other arts groups.