58951_scienceo
Credit: Ananya Chandra

The National Science Foundation recently ranked Penn as the fourth university for spending the most money on research and development. According to the report, Penn spent over $1.37 billion on research in 2017 alone.

Penn placed behind Johns Hopkins University, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, and University of California-San Francisco, respectively. Out of the Ivy League, Penn spent the most on research and had the highest ranking for 2017.

In the 2016 report, Penn ranked higher at third for research and development expenditures, behind Johns Hopkins and the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor respectively. Although Penn’s research expenditures increased by about $78 million this year, Penn still dropped by one spot.

With over 142 centers and institutes on campus dedicated to generating research, Penn says it is “one of the nation’s top research universities.”

In 2016, Penn also launched a major research and development project by opening the Pennovation Center, an on-campus incubator for entrepreneurship and technology innovation.

“The community at the Pennovation Works will translate new ideas and research into products, into ventures, into services that will change the world. Innovation will be the key,” Amy Gutmann said, according to the Pennovation website.

Despite the significant funding and development designated to research, environmental science professor Irina Marinov told The Daily Pennsylvanian earlier this month that Penn is not sufficiently funding climate change research within her department. Marinov said she is the only standing faculty member at Penn studying climate change.