lorenzo

Slightly more than a year after his arrest, former College and Wharton student Lorenzo Bonfiglio has still not gone to trial for his alleged arson of the Psi Upsilon chapter house, also known as Castle.

According to a document from the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas, Bonfiglio attended his formal arraignment on June 24. His pretrial at the Criminal Justice Center was originally scheduled for July 14, but has since been pushed back three times and is currently scheduled for Nov. 29. When The Daily Pennsylvanian contacted Bonfiglio’s lawyer, Fortunato Perri, to ask why the pretrial was postponed, he replied in an email statement that he has “No comment on the matter at this time.”

This is not the first time Bonfiglio has delayed legal hearings. After his arrest on Oct. 29, 2015, Bonfiglio was scheduled to attend a preliminary hearing on Nov. 13, 2015, but pushed the appointment back six times to June 3, 2016.

Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office spokesman Cameron Kline said he does not know the specific reason why Bonfiglio’s pretrial was pushed back. There is generally a range of reasons why pretrials can be postponed, including the need for more time to process evidence for the pretrial as well as scheduling conflicts between the parties involved, such as the defendant, the judge and the prosecutor.

Bonfiglio, who was a student in the Huntsman Program in International Studies and Business and a member of the off-campus organization Owls when he was at Penn, faces 24 charges, including arson, criminal mischief and simple assault. After his pretrial, he will enter the proceedings for a guilty plea or opt for a trial.

Bonfiglio was arrested in October last year after he allegedly set off a fire in a closet at the Psi Upsilon fraternity. A built-in sprinkler system extinguished the fire and no injuries were reported.

After his arrest, the Provost’s Office placed Bonfiglio on leave from the University and barred him from entering campus. Bonfiglio is still listed as a member of the class of 2018 in QuakerNet, the Penn directory for alumni and some current students, However, Vice President of University Communications Stephen MacCarthy said in an emailed statement on Monday that Bonfiglio is no longer enrolled at Penn.

According to his LinkedIn page, Bonfiglio has been working as a business and marketing analyst at the company I-Comm Connect since April. When contacted by phone, a worker at the company said Bonfiglio was employed there but refused to give his own name.

I-Comm Connect markets a product that allows companies to place a call button on its website for customers to contact employees directly.

The employee at I-Comm Connect, to whomthe DP spoke over the phone, said the company is aware Bonfiglio was on a leave of absence from Penn and added that he has been working “very hard” for the company at its office in the greater New York City area.