The Daily Pennsylvanian is a student-run nonprofit.

Please support us by disabling your ad blocker on our site.

Dartmouth students Sebastian Lim and Daniel Ro caused a fire in Morton Hall on Oct. 1 when they left a charcoal grill unattended on the roof of the building, The Dartmouth reported. 67 students were forced to relocate as a result of the fire, and Lim and Ro were expelled from the College for posing “a threat to the community at large.”

According to The Dartmouth, Ro and Lim created an online petition and letter in which they apologized for their “mistake” and asked for signatures as a sign of support. However, Dartmouth spokesperson Diana Lawrence has now stated that the online petition would not affect the disciplinary process.

Dartmouth is not the only college campus with residential buildings threatened by fires. On August 29, a Penn student lit plastic cups and hand sanitizer on fire on the fifth floor of Mayer Hall. The fire was quickly put out with a water bottle, but the suspect was not found.