shootings18
Credit: Carson Kahoe

After a gunman shot a Penn Police officer, a Philadelphia Police sergeant and four civilians just blocks away from campus on Friday night, Penn President Amy Gutmann released a statement midday on Saturday, while the Republican presidential and vice presidential nominees responded via Twitter. The email was sent to undergraduates at 2:28 p.m. the day after the shooting.

Gutmann said she was able to meet with the Penn Police officer, Ed Miller, at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center and that she is “so relieved and pleased to report that he is getting excellent care and will fully recover from his wounds.”

“I extended my profound thanks to him from everyone at Penn for his bravery, as I do to Sergeant Young of the Philadelphia Police and all of the other courageous professionals who came to the rescue last night,” Gutmann said.

Philadelphia Police Sergeant Sylvia Young was hit with at least six bullets, Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said in an interview early Saturday. Philly.com reported Saturday afternoon that the gunman, who Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross identified as 25-year-old West Philadelphia resident Nicholas Glenn, shot over a dozen rounds into Young’s car. Young was also taken to Penn Presbyterian and was in stable condition on Saturday.

“Officer Miller’s bravery underscores the courage and professionalism of our Penn Police force,” Gutmann said. “We are blessed to have the best university police department in the nation, and it would be impossible to adequately express how deeply appreciative the entire Penn community is for the expertise and caring commitment of these fine officers.

She added, “In these challenging and difficult times for our country, there is no place that is immune to such senseless outbursts of violence. Our commitment to the safety and security of our students, faculty, staff and community has never been greater. We are extremely fortunate to have great men and women like Officer Miller on patrol at Penn. We can all rest easier knowing that they are daily doing their job to keep us safe.”

As of Saturday morning, Rush said one female civilian had died and a male civilian remained in critical condition, according to 6 ABC.

Gutmann wasn’t the only public figure who weighed in on the shooting. Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump tweeted shortly after the events happened early Friday morning, writing that he was sending his thoughts and prayers to Penn Police and Philadelphia Police.

Indiana Gov. and Republican vice presidential nominee Mike Pence tweeted Saturday morning at 10:30, also sending thoughts and prayers and thanking the officers for their service.